Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CVU Brand Front Axle Assembly

I found a "brand new" front axle assembly at www.racepages.com for $67.85. It looks like the brand is "CVU". That seems like the cheapest around. Anyone have any experience with these? I did a USMB search and a Google search with no luck.

Any input is much appreciated for this completely inexperienced mechanic.

craig

Lifetime warranty reman. front axles can be had for around that price from somewhere like Autozone
if you want that quality. i had a brand new one about a day old blow to pieces on me. others have had the same issue on this board. installing a used one is a much better option than getting a cheap rebuild. the subaru OEM axles do not break, ever. (well except the off road guys and their lifted rigs, they break everything!)

if you want that quality. i had a brand new one about a day old blow to pieces on me. others have had the same issue on this board. installing a used one is a much better option than getting a cheap rebuild. the subaru OEM axles do not break, ever. (well except the off road guys and their lifted rigs, they break everything!)
OEM's have rubber that wears out. This leads to killing joints. In another thread, I proved that it was more cost effective to get 1 reman lifetime one and replace it 4 times than it was to get one OEM one and replace it once.

So, I'm confused. It's better to go with a used or reman axle than a brand new one? That doesn't make any sense. Or, is it that it's better to get one with a lifetime warranty rather a ltd warranty because the damn thing's gonna break regardless?

Subaru has remanufactured axles, about 1/3rd the price of a new OEM unit I believe.

I'm not sure what they are worth in the states. A remanufactured one for 97 OB front cost me $210 Cdn recently at the dealer (less a slight discount).

Commuter

Or, is it that it's better to get one with a lifetime warranty rather a ltd warranty because the damn thing's gonna break regardless?

You got it. You'll never be able to have a piece of rubber that won't dry out and crack eventually. If you loose all the grease and replace it with dirt the joint is going to go bad at some point.

Get the lifetime warranty reman axles.

You got it. You'll never be able to have a piece of rubber that won't dry out and crack eventually. If you loose all the grease and replace it with dirt the joint is going to go bad at some point.

Get the lifetime warranty reman axles.

Finally, someone who agrees with what I'm saying!

OEM's have rubber that wears out. This leads to killing joints. In another thread, I proved that it was more cost effective to get 1 reman lifetime one and replace it 4 times than it was to get one OEM one and replace it once.

Hm. My $60 lifetime warranty axle just got a torn boot. Lasted only 6k miles. I wonder what it means for your calculations :)

I'm wondering - $100 OEM axles that online subaru parts stores have are remanufactured or new?

Hm. My $60 lifetime warranty axle just got a torn boot. Lasted only 6k miles. I wonder what it means for your calculations :)

I'm wondering - $100 OEM axles that online subaru parts stores have are remanufactured or new?

From what I know of Cdn pricing, that would be remanufactured. $100 sounds about right to me from what I've observed in pricing on both sides of the border.

My front axles lasted over 8 years and 450,000 km plus before the boots failed. I'm not complaining. A boot tear can happen at any point in time and may have just been bad luck.

Commuter