Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New user: shoulderbelt on rails problems?

Hello Subaru forum,

Thanks for existing. I've learned a lot reading.

My question is regarding my 90 2wd auto Loyale. The drivers side shoulderbelt sticks on its little electric rail--like it gets "confused" about when it should slide forward and back, or gets stuck. I have to open the door a little ways and wait for it to move when I get out of the car. What exactly switches this mechanism, it appears to have something to do with the latch, correct? Is there a cheap fix?

Hello Redloy! Welcome to the forum!

About two week ago there was a thread about automatic shoulder belts. If you do "search" you will find it easyly.

What I understand from your post something might be stuck in the rail. Try to look inside. I would also try to lubricate it. Dry graphite may be a good thing to try.

Sam

Hello Redloy! Welcome to the forum!

About two week ago there was a thread about automatic shoulder belts. If you do "search" you will find it easyly.

What I understand from your post something might be stuck in the rail. Try to look inside. I would also try to lubricate it. Dry graphite may be a good thing to try.

Sam

I've been lurking with just that intent; must have missed it. I'll look some more but meanwhile I'd welcome any more remarks. By the way shall I stay away from the old WD-40 on this?

thanks for that.

What I really want to know is what actuates the belt mechanism. It seems to be somehow involved with the actual latch of the door. When I'm sitting in the car and open the door to get out, the belt mostly doesn't move unless I leave the door ajar with the latch touching but not latched-- OR stick a finger into the latch mechanism. THis move clearly switches something, and makes the belt slide forward on the track normally enough.

Anybody know what I'm talking about? If I can fix this, I'll be all stoked about the car again and I'll re-seal the oil pump and drill holes in the air filter thing and do all that other stuff you subaru geniuses talk about on here. I swear!

thanks for that.

What I really want to know is what actuates the belt mechanism. It seems to be somehow involved with the actual latch of the door. When I'm sitting in the car and open the door to get out, the belt mostly doesn't move unless I leave the door ajar with the latch touching but not latched-- OR stick a finger into the latch mechanism. THis move clearly switches something, and makes the belt slide forward on the track normally enough.

Anybody know what I'm talking about? If I can fix this, I'll be all stoked about the car again and I'll re-seal the oil pump and drill holes in the air filter thing and do all that other stuff you subaru geniuses talk about on here. I swear!

Advice: Be sure trunk is open..

Get it to go to locked position with door shut, window open, key on. Shut key off after door shuts and locks it in locked position (up).

go to trunk and unplug the computer box lookin thing under rear window in the center. It stops auto mode of this noisy quirky gadget.

It is not an illegal maneuvre by any state inspection standard- it is just another gadget. Use the orange release button on the now locked harness buckle to use/not use as intended, the belt should wind up peacefully out of the way towards e brake handle. If not, because it has never been wound up like this, pull it in and out gently, until it works. I asked out loud at local inspection here, and as long as locked position is locked and I can use seatbelt, it is legal. I not only had to disable it for large amp usage, my height is exactly incorrect for part of its journey to locked position actually being a hazard. My aouto belt still works- I prefer it to be manual. I hope it goes to locked for you one last time to keep harness belt legal easily.:)