Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil pump bolts (all five broken????)

My 93 Loyale had 55k on the timing belts, and a bad case of "TOD", so I decided it was time to get dirty...Got everything torn down to the oil pump, when things went sour :-\ The first bolt I tride, I thought I had the wrong size socket, no resistance at all, found the bolt head in the socket. After a closer look I found that two bolt heads were already missing, and thought to myself "this would explane the TOD"...The last two

bolt heads came off just like the first. My first thought was that I must have overtorqued them the last time I did a T-belt/oil pump job. I did a search, and found one member had broken an oil pump bolt applying 13 ft/labs as specified in the Haynes book. Well I looked in the book, and sure enough the book specifies 13-15 foot pounds. I took the pump off

and found all the bolts had left some material left to grab onto, but DAMB are they stuck!!! So I gave them all a shot of PB Blaster, turned on the Grateful Dead (really loud!!!) and sat down to write this post.

Has this happened to anyone else? Did I overtorque the bolts? is the Haynes book wrong? If it is, anyone know how tight the pump bolts should be?

Thanks for letting me vent!

Chris

you're going on your third oil pump? holy crap. I find these old soobs with 200k and clean oil stopping tod.

all else fails try drilling and tapping clean patiently?

Original oil pump, this will be the second time I've resealed it.

Looks like I'll be drilling out the old bolts, and tapping. Hopefully I won't have to use helicoils...I still can't figure out how all five of the bolts broke,

and why I wasn't leaking a huge amount of oil :confused:

Cheers,

Chris