Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 Legacy electrical and power lock Q's

I am beginning to iron out the bugs in a 90 Legacy LS automatic. Still trying to resurrect the tranny, but it is good enough to get around in now. (No longer spewing ATF as fast as it was put in.) It has lots of little quirks, partially because the PO seems to have been a slob (even by MY standards).

Well, there are a couple quirks that might be "features" and I just don't realize it. First, when the front-passenger inside door handle is pulled the door lock rocker moves to the locked position; is this normal? Second, the driver door lock will lock the doors but not unlock them; I am assuming that this is merely dirty switch contacts.

Finally (for now), when in Park and I step on the brake pedal there is a loud click from the gear selector area (I assume that this is the lock-out solenoid for the selector lever) BUT at the same time the radio display dims for a second or so. Is this "normal", or should I be hunting down a power/ground issue?

For now I get to go clean the 2-yr-old cola from the ventilation control buttons...

I don't have a Legacy ('93 Impreza), but I thought I'd chime in.

My interior lights dim when I step on the brake, as well. It's probably a ground problem. I thought it was my battery, but I replaced it (need it anyhow) and it didn't do any good. EVERYTHING dims in mine, radio, dome light, dash lights, headlights, etc. If yours doesn't yet, it probably will eventually. I know its a crappy ground somewhere, but I've been ignoring it. If you fix it, let me know.

I had an unopened can of Coke blow up in the cupholder on a hot day once. Went all over the windshield, dash, and heater controls. Fun fun fun.:rolleyes:

I know I've got a bad ground...probably the main battery-to-transaxle one. Cleaning it might help, but I'm lazy... My interior lights dim in time with my 4-ways, too.:-\ Basically, the more electrical stuff on, the worse the dimming. So, yeah...

At least I hope it's that simple, and not something more complicated. I'm not really very electrically inclined. Most of it is mysterious magic to me.

The dimming problem may also be due to a bad power connection to the lighting supply circuit. To see if you do have a bad ground you can make a long ground jumper lead using some #14 or #12 gauge wire. Clip one end to the negative battery lead and the other to suspected bad ground areas like the dash. If there is a bad connection the problem will clear with the jumper lead connected.

To see if there is a problem with the supply power using a meter, tie the meter common lead to a known good ground. Then check the voltage of the supply power before and after turning on some sort of load like the brake lights. If the voltage drops more than about 0.5 volts with the load on then there may be excessive resitance in the supply circuit and you need to back track the supply lead to find the bad connection.

Well, there are a couple quirks that might be "features" and I just don't realize it. First, when the front-passenger inside door handle is pulled the door lock rocker moves to the locked position; is this normal? Second, the driver door lock will lock the doors but not unlock them; I am assuming that this is merely dirty switch contacts.

Finally (for now), when in Park and I step on the brake pedal there is a loud click from the gear selector area (I assume that this is the lock-out solenoid for the selector lever) BUT at the same time the radio display dims for a second or so. Is this "normal", or should I be hunting down a power/ground issue?

For now I get to go clean the 2-yr-old cola from the ventilation control buttons...

Ok, let's tackle these one by one.

The passenger lock: http://www.geocities.com/hobiegary/locks.html <-- read that. That is why your passenger side lock does that. Just follow those instructions and it won't do that anymore. If you get stuck, ask me - I did it on both rear doors. I recommend the 18g wire.

The driver's lock: Make sure that you're pushing the driver's side lock completely into the open position so that it trips the switch to send electricity to the rest of the doors to unlock them. Unfortunately, you might need a new switch, but that's a pretty rare condition so maybe you're just not pushing it far enough. Check the contacts too - that's a good idea.

The shift interlock: The click is pretty common - my car does it as well. As for the dimming here's what I'd check: First, check the amount of current coming from the alternator at idle. You may be suffering from a tired alternator. Second, check the ground for the transmission and/or dash components. These cars are known for bad grounds.

The shift interlock: The click is pretty common - my car does it as well. As for the dimming here's what I'd check: First, check the amount of current coming from the alternator at idle. You may be suffering from a tired alternator. Second, check the ground for the transmission and/or dash components. These cars are known for bad grounds.

I got to thinking about it some more, and I'll second a weak alternator. My lights dont dim if you rev the engine up a bit first.

...a weak alternator...
Doubt it is alternator-related: Does the same thing with the engine off. The thing that made me think that it MIGHT be a "feature" is that it dims to approx same level as when headlights/dashlight come on. Hmmm... wonder if it dims with dash dimmer....hmmmm...

Well when you figure out the radio display dimming

when you hit the brake pedal....let me know. My

90 Legacy LS AWD (auto) also does it. And I have

replaced the alternator . And mine only does it

without the headlights or parking lights on. If I

cause the radio display to dim as it would when

driving at night, the display does not change.

Kinda strange.......

Richard

Well, no extra dimming with headlights; no noticeable change between headlight dimmed and brake-dimmed. The period of dimming is very consistant, so still makes me wonder if it is a "feature'. More as I explore...

Fixed passenger door lock. Thanks again, Manarius. I used a small cotter pin to anchor the spring, but also used some dental floss; we will see which lasts. The article says that this is a problem with EARLY Legacies; anybody know how it was fixed in later Legs?

Fixed passenger door lock. Thanks again, Manarius. I used a small cotter pin to anchor the spring, but also used some dental floss; we will see which lasts. The article says that this is a problem with EARLY Legacies; anybody know how it was fixed in later Legs?
It doesn't exist past 1994. The lock system was changed to something different.

For the dimming: It's definitely not a feature of the car. I think it's a strain on the system or a ground issue.

Doubt it is alternator-related: Does the same thing with the engine off. The thing that made me think that it MIGHT be a "feature" is that it dims to approx same level as when headlights/dashlight come on. Hmmm... wonder if it dims with dash dimmer....hmmmm...

I'm back to thinking its a ground issue, then. Something worth noting is that only the stock radio dimmed. I've since replaced it with an aftermarked HU, which doesn't dim when the headlights are on, (the darn thing's lit up like Las Vegas after dark) and it doesn't dim. Everything else does, though. Headlights, dome light, and all.

Oh, well. It's not really a problem, anyhow, but it is sill annoying.

Usually the wire for the display is tied into the dash lights so the radio display will dim along with the rest of the dash lights.

And my radio doesn't wire into the dash lights, and is therefore not dimming. Got it. I guess that means it's probably a localized problem in the dash area. Just a thought: Does the dimming happen if the gearshift is in neutral, instead of park? (so the park lock solenoid isn't activating)

Went for a drive and got some more info, but basically it looks like I have a power/ground issue. Brake lights at ANY time cause the display to dim for a second, and use of turn signals/hazards along with brake will cause the dimming to continue and pulse. Backup lights also effect things. Heater-blower doesn't, wipers don't, and rear defroster doesn't. Now to find the common link...

...or just go crazy with the wiring. :grin:

I wonder if this is causing some of the 4EAT's odd shifting. (rhetorical)

Went for a drive and got some more info, but basically it looks like I have a power/ground issue. Brake lights at ANY time cause the display to dim for a second, and use of turn signals/hazards along with brake will cause the dimming to continue and pulse. Backup lights also effect things. Heater-blower doesn't, wipers don't, and rear defroster doesn't. Now to find the common link...

...or just go crazy with the wiring. :grin:

I wonder if this is causing some of the 4EAT's odd shifting. (rhetorical)

Well I guess we do have the same problem. That's eactly what mine does. I think my rear defroster makes it slightly worse, too, but maybe I've just got a more advanced case. Have fun with the wiring.:rolleyes: And post an update if you find it. I would dig into mine, too, but I'm not very good with wiring, and this car is my only daily driver. It's a nuisance I've been living with for over 2 years now, and it won't hurt me to put up with it for a while longer. BTW...I know your question was rhetorical, but my 4EAT shifts fine. I suppose it's still possible, though.

Well I guess we do have the same problem. That's eactly what mine does. I think my rear defroster makes it slightly worse, too, but maybe I've just got a more advanced case. Have fun with the wiring.:rolleyes: And post an update if you find it. I would dig into mine, too, but I'm not very good with wiring, and this car is my only daily driver. It's a nuisance I've been living with for over 2 years now, and it won't hurt me to put up with it for a while longer. BTW...I know your question was rhetorical, but my 4EAT shifts fine. I suppose it's still possible, though.

If I find the problem I will be sure to share it. :)

Thanks for the info regarding your 4eat not being affected. I have done a lot of internal cleaning of mine, and some things are working better but others are not. I was hoping that some might be controller issues; still might be as I have not checked some electrial connections to it.

If you follow my suggestions in post #5 you will quickly know what needs to be done to fix the trouble. You can also make a lead for the power side if you suspect the trouble is in the power buss wiring. It would be good to have a fuse at the battery end though in case you touch a ground point.