Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Door Locks 01 impreza...is this correct?

I have a 93 loyale and a 01 impreza, and the door lock features are quite different, not sure if my 01 impreza is not working properly or thats the way it should be..here it is

when I lock the car from the outside on my 93 all the doors lock, if I want to do that on my 01 I have to use the inside switch, then close the door, when I lock it from the outside only the drivers side door locks.

same thing for unlocking the car. (Though I heard this is a safety feature)

also on my 93 the drivers side door will not lock unless I lock it from the outside, I find this a nice feature, so I dont lock my keys in my car, though my 01 does not have that feature.

it this the way it should be?

That's correct operation for the locks. The system changed in 97 for the Legacy and 98 for the Impreza. All Subarus prior to this had operation similar to the Loyale.

I also highly recommend the keyless entry system. You can probably get one from a Subaru dealership that will "plug-n-play" on your car. This may be an easier installation than an aftermarket system, and the online Subaru dealer pricing is usually very good on these things.

On the Loyale, you CAN lock the doors without using the key from the outside. Simply flip the interior lock switch to the "locked" position, then shut the door with the outside handle lifted like when you are opening the door. No need to use the key.

On the Loyale, you CAN lock the doors without using the key from the outside. Simply flip the interior lock switch to the "locked" position, then shut the door with the outside handle lifted like when you are opening the door. No need to use the key.
Every single car I know of works like that. If you lock the door from the inside and hold the handle open as you shut the door, it will stay locked.

Not sure about the 01, but on my wife's 03 I ordered the keyless entry module and two remotes for $65. Installed them literally while I waited in line at the car wash. Very very easy. It was already wired for it, just plug in and go.

The dealership wanted something like $400 to install this same thing :rolleyes:

Steve

Got mine at http://www.subarugenuineparts.com, through I'm sure there's other sources out there.

Here is a link:

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=838

It says 1999-2001 in one spot but 1999-2000 in another, you might want to verify fitment for yours.

Note that for some reason it's more expensive than for the 02/03 models. Still under $100 though, not bad. A guy I work with just bought a replacement remote for his VW which cost $180 (this is just a remote, not two remotes and the whole system)... and the dealership wanted $80 to program it.

Steve