Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It depends on how long and how bad the boot has been torn. If it just ripped, or if it's a small tear, you can probably get by with replacing just the boots. (also keep in mind the miles on the axles.) If you don't know how long it's been ripped, and or it has a large tear (like both of my front axles had,) the smartest idea would be to replace the entire axle to ensure that the joints are in good condition. Is the tear small, or do you have some idea as to when it ripped?

Is the tear small, or do you have some idea as to when it ripped?

I'm pretty sure it was fairly recently, within the last six months. It's not a huge tear, but it's not small either. I'm going to take a chance and just clean it really well and regrease.

It is a lot easier to pull the axle right out, as the inner joint has to be disassembled to get the outer boot on. You may be able to do it on the car, but for the extra few minutes it takes, why fight with it?

I agree; and make sure you have new clamps to put the inner boot back on after you have put the new boot on the outer joint, as the boot kit for the outer joint will only come with one set of clamps. You will also need a clamp tool, which can be had for about $10 at the auto parts store.