Ultimate Subaru Message Board

George,

Like you I just can't complain about these things. I beat heck out of them when I was tuning my suspension and I figured I might get about a year out of them after that. Two years later I'm still wondering when they will have to go. They have to rank among the world's longest lasting tires.

George,

Like you I just can't complain about these things. I beat heck out of them when I was tuning my suspension and I figured I might get about a year out of them after that. Two years later I'm still wondering when they will have to go. They have to rank among the world's longest lasting tires.

I don't know about the Xs but I recently put Uniroyal Tiger Paws (made by Michelin) on my Forester, Moreover, I am very pleased and wouldn't hesisitate to buy the X tires.

John

If you mean X-Ones, I've had a few sets of them. Put 160,000 km on them on my 97 OB and still had tread left. Excellent all around tire. Not the ultimate in rain or snow (for an all season), but right up there.

The X-One is no longer made. I know of the HydroEdge and the Harmony (which I now have), but not of an "X".

Commuter

Michelin X is still available in both the US and Canada. It is sold at Costco and Sam's Club if not other dealers.

Michelin sometimes adds a name to a tire to prevent the chains and independent dealers from competing directly. For example, the Michelin X One and X Plus were the same tire.

x_radial_dt.jpg

http://www.michelinman.com/overview/x_radial_dt/1722.html

1) If the tires do not wear out in 40k-(maybe 60k if you drive like grandma) miles - these are crappy tires with plastic instead of rubber and I would not trust them with my life.

2) For the price of Michlens there are typically tons of better and cheaper options.

3) You cannot have 5 tires and rotate them on a Subaru

1) If the tires do not wear out in 40k-(maybe 60k if you drive like grandma) miles - these are crappy tires with plastic instead of rubber and I would not trust them with my life.

2) For the price of Michlens [sic] there are typically tons of better and cheaper options.

3) You cannot have 5 tires and rotate them on a Subaru

1. Huh?

2. Describe your choices and experience.

The Michelin X has a 740 treadwear UTQG, and an 80,000 mile warranty. I just checked the Michelin X's on one of our minivans. They have 31,000 miles on them and have 8/32nd tread left. New is 11/32nd.

The OEM Michelins on our 97 OBW's lasted 57,000 and 55,000 miles and were not worn out when replaced (Winter was coming). That's as much as double what people have gotten wit hthe Gen II and Gen III OEM tires. The Michelin X and X One replacements were replaced with 5/32nd tread remaining after 60,000 miles.

The Michelin HydroEdge we replaced those with at 120,000 miles still had over 6/32nd tread remaining when the car was traded in - with 66,000 miles on them. So my experience belies yours. Michelin doesn't always make the best tire in any market category, but they seem to be the most reliable manufacturer for good dry and wet handling and long tread life. I guess that's why they cost more.....

My point is simple - softer tire grips better, but wears out faster. And the other way - the higher is the "tread warranty" number - the more like plastic the tire is, wears out slower, grips worse. Thats all I have to say. And it does not matter if its Michelin or some other brand - if it doesn't loose half the tread in 20-30k I will stay away from them. Anyone else can do whatever they like. Some people run re92 and never complain. Some people never use winter tires, etc.

It really depends on what you use your car for. These Michies have enough grip to handle anything I throw at my Forester.On my BMW I currently use Bridgestone S03s as that car requires much more grip.

If I was running a WRX as my only car I would want a tire that was up to the power of the WRX. The tires on my Forester need to be up to the super market, Home Depot, and mud and snow on trips. these tires are fine for this car as used.