Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine swap at 91loyal workshop- PICS

konrad/soo

as written, me and 91loyale swaped EJ22 from a 1992 legacy w/blown sparkplug, someone didnt titen the plugs so one of them went up in air, w/ the tread, and that was the good engine:cool: my engine was burning a quart per 200 miles, and after me driving it for 17k it blew a cilinder :( ,make a long story short, we've pulled out the engine from my car, then we've pulled out the engine from the donor(the car was sitting for 2 years on a pig farm) broke a lots of bolts, stud in head, which we've drilled out after 2 hours.Donor was an AT so we've changed the fly wheel and clutch, water pump, fixed the missing tread with heli-coil kit, and instaled the engine in my wagon.Only thing that went wrong was the timeing, of by 6 teeth, our fault, but its okey now :headbang: . Engine started a little rough, but after a quick spin :burnout: (6000rpm) it went back to normal. so far its running great, and i'd want to thank 91loyale for his help and his effort that he've put in to this project:clap:

im005012fi1.th.jpgim005013ju0.th.jpg this is what we use EA82 block for :lol:

im005014xv4.th.jpg

im005020wn9.th.jpg this is the best engine lift ever:grin:

im005022mf8.th.jpg

im005024fc6.th.jpg fun part :grin:

Price breakdown:

Parts car, delivered and removed: $50

Helicoil Thread insert kit:$30

About 14 hours of our time: $0

Gas money to get to parts store and back in V10 pickup: $10

Washing Pig manuer off of said pickup: $2.50

Pizza after car ran: $11

Total: $103.50

Not bad for a complete engine swap. The cheapest engine he could find localy was $450, installation extra. The lecacy is better than it was even before it lost a cylinder, because this engine doesn't burn oil.

There's much worse ways to spend a weekend.

The EA82 workes perfectly as a solid jackstand. The rotten stump on the other side wasn't so safe, but it held.