Ultimate Subaru Message Board

auto trans stuck shift lever

Hello Suby auto trans experts! I'm going to look at a 92 Legacy wagon AT-AWD for sale, 175000 miles, regularly maintained by Sub mechanic. Lady says shifter sticks sometimes and currently will NOT shift into reverse--the shift lever will not go there. Is this a majorly failed transmission or perhaps a more minor linkage problem? Any timely advice appreciated before I look at this in two hours. THANKS!:-\ :-\

It depends on how she means sticks "sometimes". It could be the shiftlock acting up. There are probably threads on here or legacycentral.org about that and it's also well-outlined in the owner's manual. It might even been the shift linkages. I say this because the linkages on my 94AT were so dried up and gummy that it made horrible scronchy noises and moving the shifter was a feat of strength. Sometimes it even wouldn't go all the way into a gear. Some lube and a little time later and it's very slick and easy. :headbang:

It depends on how she means sticks "sometimes". It could be the shiftlock acting up. There are probably threads on here or legacycentral.org about that and it's also well-outlined in the owner's manual. It might even been the shift linkages. I say this because the linkages on my 94AT were so dried up and gummy that it made horrible scronchy noises and moving the shifter was a feat of strength. Sometimes it even wouldn't go all the way into a gear. Some lube and a little time later and it's very slick and easy. :headbang:

THANKS FISHY--apparently a week ago it got stuck in a lower gear than drive and she could not move the lever out--I'm not sure how she eventually did. Today it will not shift into reverse. She has consulted [but not visited] her mechanic who thinks the trans needs replacing, so she is offering the car for $650 with much recent work, axles, timing belt, etc. I'm going to Park City at noon MDT to look at it. What does anyone think, please, any opinion is valuable. THANKS!