Ultimate Subaru Message Board

We'll I'm considering buying one for my wife. It has 104k, auto, power everything etc.. They(small car lot) want $5999 for it. What would be considered a good price? And what problems have there been with these motors I.E. headgaskets, Bad tranny's, anything that I should be aware off. Thanks for any info.

Jay

headgaskets can fail at any time. i would not assume they've been replaced nor would i assume they won't fail. type in "headgasket" using the search button under "New Generation Forum" and see how many head gasket threads get started for the 2.5. Skip (i think) has a webpage with hundreds of documented failures. this site you're on right now, usmb, is loaded with 2.5 head gasket threads, read up on them is my suggestion. don't be too scared though, this is a great motor and great car. just be informed about the decision your're making.

the good news is that they rarely completely blow out and leave you stranded, it should give you warning so it's not a huge liability in terms of getting stranded somewhere.

test drive it alot, drive as much and as far as you can and watch the temperature gauge. any fluctuation besides gracefully rising to operating temperature and holding dead steady should be noted.

bottom line, search the forum there are tons and tons of threads and information on 2.5 headgaskets.

torque bind (use search function to read up on it) is another issue. changing trans fluid and keeping your tires matching and generally being nice to the transmission helps prevent this from happening. drive around in tight circles, if you feel the car "binding" at all, it has torque bind. (this is only an issue with auto AWD transmissions, extremely rare otherwise.)

great car. when you get it , have the transmission fluid changed (or make that part of the deal when you buy it) to prevent torque bind.