Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Forester XT hood scoop question.

I'm thinking about getting a Forester XT in a year or so. Just

wondering about the air intake on the hood. Is air constantly

flowing through the hood scoop while driving, or just when

boost is demanded? What happens with rain or snow that goes into the scoop? Also, I park on the street and am wondering

how vulnerable the hood intake is to vandalism. For example,

what if someone dumped beer or another substance in there?

What would happen?

Like all other Subaru scoops, it's not for engine air intake, but for the intercooler. There is a small screen there to trap larger things...clean leaves of etc. There are also aftermarket companies that sell a grill that goes right onto the scoop front itself.

Turbo Forester's have been sold worldwide for since 1997 although the turbo models have not been available in the USDM until 2003. As far as the outside elements, I haven't hear anyone complain about rain, snow, etc causing them a problem.

Actually, rain and snow geting in the scoop and onto the intercooler would be a good thing, as they should help the intercooler cool off easier. But like ferret said, that's just the IC, not the intake, so beer or something in there will mostly just make a sticky mess, but won't really hurt anything. I have a 2000 2.5RS with a turbo kit, and I have my hoodscoop open for the IC, and the worst I've gotten was a bee, no worries.