Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Restoring wipers arms, roof rack, non-plastic/rubber trim to black

BeefaRu

Materials:

350 grit sand paper

Scotch Bright 7448 ultra find hand pad

0000 Steel wool

Bull dog adhesion promoter: qtp0312 bond-fled tiecoat 3 in 1 (local car paint supply will know as bulldog)

A can of SEM trim black 39143

Wiper arms/roof rack:

The stock paint is very thin on wipers, I found myself down to aluminum pretty quick on wiper arms, but nothing to worry about. I believe the roof rack is aluminum or galvanized but with thicker paint. After cleaning the part, use heavier grit sandpaper to smooth paint chips etc, then use scotch brite to finish out scratches for a smooth painting surface.

Apply a coat of bulldog

Finish with a couple light coats of trim black. Thicker coat risks paint chipping easier.

Non plastic "trim": Black trim on front blinkers, roof rack, satin black paint on rear view mirrors, black column trim on wagons etc...:

Same method as above, but if you need smoother surface, finish up with the steel wool. If the part has any plastic or rubber, remove the oxidation down to good material before going to finer grit and painting. See "restoring trim" post if you want a factory new appearance on rubber/plastic.

The trim black is a satin finish material identical to factory satin black and a cost effective way to make these items a solid black again.

Good luck and show that Subaru some love!

No closeups, but there are some photos of the restored look in this overhaulin' album