Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2004 OBW, Blowing heads still?

I had a 1997 OWB that blew a HG at 104K. I subsequently bought a 2004 OBW and have $49500 miles on it.

My question is, did Subaru ever actually fix the HG problem? Is anyone out there having blown HGs before 150K miles on OBW newer than 1999?

What exactly is the difference between the old EJ25s and the new SOHC ones that might make them any less prone to this problem?

Should I try to sell now, or should I risk driving it into the ground? Where is "The Ground" on a 2.5L subaru these days?(I owned a Loyale with a 1.8 L engine, and I never found "The ground").

Thanks kindly for all your thoughts.

Joel

The only problem that the new ones have had were small external leaks up until a 2003 head gasket revision. You can cure these by adding a can of goop from your dealer.

Do not live in fear you have a good car. I have the new style gasket and I run the goop too as I am a certified paranoid.

I'm only at 130,000 miles so the break in period is nearly over.

I don't think so, the new gasket is not supposed to require it. No real hurry, next time you are in the dealer for some other part ask for a can of the sealer.

I'm probably paranoid to add it to mine, but I don't see what it would hurt. My original radiator has 130,000 miles and has not clogged with the sealer in a couple of years so it does not seem to do much except possibly add a tiny bit of self sealing capability if you were to get a small leak. Many brands of antifreeze have a small amount of sealer also.