Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat Choice

Subaru_Mechanic

i love drifting but also love to show the toyotas up in enumclaw (need a lil lift ta do so). i want to lift it but dont wanna roll my ru while cornering. i was just thinkin about gettin new rims and bigger tires. (dont know what size to go with yet)

someone please send me some nice advise. i know you guys have been there and done it already...:grin:

I've only ever driven 2" lifted subes, but I think you would have to push it really really hard to roll it on the road, mine (2" lifted) handles quite well on road and off with its crappy van tires and I would think it would handle better with ATs. I say go the lift! just to get bigger tires on and a little more clearance on the body.

alright if you're planning on lifting your gen1 brat (i'm assuming that's the car you're talking about) then you're going to have to do a little more work then you thought...

when we lift our roo's all that happens is we drop the suspension and everything and put blocks inbetween it...

now if you look at your brat's rear suspension and look at where the top of the control arm you'll see the problem... it sticks out over the tire, so even if you lift it you're still going to have that bit of the control arm sticking out over the tread of the tire... the biggest size tire i've seen on these is a 205/60/15 i think... and with that you can't even get your pinky finger through the gap...

have a good look at you're suspension and you'll see what exactly i mean...

so with that in mind, lifting your brat will take a little more work and effort... the easiest way to do this is to upgrade to ea81 rear suspension... you'll need adaptor plates made so that the ea81 suspension will bolt up to the stock ea71 brat locations... now the upside to this is if done right, it'll give you 3 inches of lift by itself... then just drop the diff to avoid destructive axle angles and you're golden asfar as the rear is concerned...

then you can use a normal ea81 lift kit for the front with possibly a few changes with the trans crossmember...

i hope that helps a bit...:)

yea i sse the problem. but i might be able to make my own deal to suck that rod back in. thanks a ton man. how much would ur way cost?:confused:

alright if you're planning on lifting your gen1 brat (i'm assuming that's the car you're talking about) then you're going to have to do a little more work then you thought...

when we lift our roo's all that happens is we drop the suspension and everything and put blocks inbetween it...

now if you look at your brat's rear suspension and look at where the top of the control arm you'll see the problem... it sticks out over the tire, so even if you lift it you're still going to have that bit of the control arm sticking out over the tread of the tire... the biggest size tire i've seen on these is a 205/60/15 i think... and with that you can't even get your pinky finger through the gap...

have a good look at you're suspension and you'll see what exactly i mean...

so with that in mind, lifting your brat will take a little more work and effort... the easiest way to do this is to upgrade to ea81 rear suspension... you'll need adaptor plates made so that the ea81 suspension will bolt up to the stock ea71 brat locations... now the upside to this is if done right, it'll give you 3 inches of lift by itself... then just drop the diff to avoid destructive axle angles and you're golden asfar as the rear is concerned...

then you can use a normal ea81 lift kit for the front with possibly a few changes with the trans crossmember...

i hope that helps a bit...:)

the adaptor plates are simple to make, or so i've been told... i guess the expencive part is buying an ea81 rear suspension...

you need a good welder to be able to do this though... since the adaptor plates have to be welded on...

and i tried looking into sucking that butt back in... near impossible to do since that end is what holds the end of the torsion bar... so you can't cut it... then i thought that since i was upgrading to coilovers i wouldn't even need the torsion bar... unfortunatly from what i'm told the torsion bar is a supporting member for the trailing arm so it would really weaken the suspension...

and also, you'll notice that even if you get rid of that end bit you're still going to have clearance issues which could be solved using wheel spacers... but that's always kinda sketchy in my mind since there is extra stress on the wheel bearings...

but hey, i might be wrong about the torsion bar... so if you have an extra rear suspension or something off a parts car then give it a whirl! if it turns out good i might have do the same so i can go unlifted...:)

im gonna try it. after i buy a hatch, so i can park it in the shop and do some fab. i got hookups for this. welding is no prob the only thing is 6 lug conversion, but even that isnt big. so ill be set by december. ill post pics of the brat. (i have a awesome snorkle bein made. and the "cab" has been sprayed with bedliner. :grin:

the adaptor plates are simple to make, or so i've been told... i guess the expencive part is buying an ea81 rear suspension...

you need a good welder to be able to do this though... since the adaptor plates have to be welded on...

and i tried looking into sucking that butt back in... near impossible to do since that end is what holds the end of the torsion bar... so you can't cut it... then i thought that since i was upgrading to coilovers i wouldn't even need the torsion bar... unfortunatly from what i'm told the torsion bar is a supporting member for the trailing arm so it would really weaken the suspension...

and also, you'll notice that even if you get rid of that end bit you're still going to have clearance issues which could be solved using wheel spacers... but that's always kinda sketchy in my mind since there is extra stress on the wheel bearings...

but hey, i might be wrong about the torsion bar... so if you have an extra rear suspension or something off a parts car then give it a whirl! if it turns out good i might have do the same so i can go unlifted...:)