Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP!...car chugging at high speeds

(carbed 87 ea82, manual 4wd) so all of a sudden when im running usually it only happens in 4th or 5th gear..and its worse going up hill...when I try to accellerate usually around 2500+ rpm it starts chugging...it feels kind of like its having trouble getting fuel or air one...has plenty of gas..took of the air cleaner and the valve stays wide open when its supposed to..what should I do?

How long has it been since fuel filter was changed? a partially pluged filter or a failing fuel pump can do this.

Also try raising hood at night and look at engine in dark. IE no light and see if there is any arcing or corona around plug wires or spark plugs.

Make absolutely sure you have the right wire on the right plug. Changed mine about three weeks ago and got two on the passenger side swapped. Idled fine but man what a mess above 2000! Swapped them out and now we fun like the proverbial ape! Hope this helps!

should't be the plugs, wires, cap, or rotor because just changed them out maybe 2 months ago or so...has been awhile since ive changed the fuel filter though so will try that...any other suggestions?