Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4wd or just 2wd ?

Hi guys,

I have the impression that the 4wd is not working anymore on my 93 loyale...when I push on the 4wd button, nothing happen, yesterday I was in a mud field...it was clear that the power only went to the front wheels...:confused:

what can I do ? is it easy to fix ?

Greg

thanks, sorry for my english, french is my mother tongue

Hi guys,

I have the impression that the 4wd is not working anymore on my 93 loyale...when I push on the 4wd button, nothing happen, yesterday I was in a mud field...it was clear that the power only went to the front wheels...:confused:

what can I do ? is it easy to fix ?

Greg

thanks, sorry for my english, french is my mother tongue

Here is how the Loyale 4wd is engaged:

Pushing the button sends voltage to engage a vacuum solenoid. Engine vacuum is routed to an actuator at the transmission. The actuator moves linkage that puts it into 4wd. The same linkage switches the 4wd lights on the instrument panel.

If the light lights, it's probably a mechanical/transmission issue. If the light doesn't light, check for voltage at the 4wd solenoids (behind the left hand strut, next to the fuel filter)or vacuum to or from the solenoids.

Also, it won't engage if there's no vacuum. If your foot is on the floor, you won't engage 4WD. Hit the button, let off the gas sharply, and if the systems are working, it should kick right in.

-=Russ=-

thanks for the info guys, I have no 4wd light in the instrument panel when I push on the 4wd button...:confused:

could you make this more clear ??

Also, it won't engage if there's no vacuum. If your foot is on the floor, you won't engage 4WD. Hit the button, let off the gas sharply, and if the systems are working, it should kick right in.

here is a pic of the area around the fuel folter could you point me the 4wd solenoids ? the general fuse looks ok ?

Sorry, was banging that reply out as I headed out the door.

I don't think it's the case for you, but in addition to the solenoid & everything working, you need vacuum to drive the actuator.

If the engine is at wide open throttle, there's no manifold vacuum (or negligible vacuum), and the 4WD won't engage.

The common case for this being a problem would be blasting down a gravel road at WOT, wanting 4WD, and it not engaging. Letting off the throttle for a second will produce a lot of vacuum (closed throttle at high RPM = almost complete vacuum in the intake system, significantly more than at idle), and should snap 4WD in.

-=Russ=-

Chances are very good that the vacuum lines to the solenoids have come off or are cracked and leaking. I would look there first. Hit the button and make sure the solenoids are energizing, that will let you know if the electrics are working.

The solenoids are on the driver's side, up on the inner fender just under the hood, close to the windshield.

Good luck.

Find a helper, and have them click the button inside while you listen for the 'click' of the solenoids outside.

Next you'll want to check vacuum to the solenoids. In that picture, there are two vacuum lines with the plastic thing coiled around them. Those are the two lines that go to the diaphram on the tranny to engage 4wd. Follow those to the two solenoids, and you should be to able to see if there is vacuum there.

Also, do the vent controls inside work? (Defrost, bilev, etc)

-Dave

Find a helper, and have them click the button inside while you listen for the 'click' of the solenoids outside.

Next you'll want to check vacuum to the solenoids. In that picture, there are two vacuum lines with the plastic thing coiled around them. Those are the two lines that go to the diaphram on the tranny to engage 4wd. Follow those to the two solenoids, and you should be to able to see if there is vacuum there.

Also, do the vent controls inside work? (Defrost, bilev, etc)

-Dave

thanks Dave ! I will check that tomorrow, yes the vents are working ... if the solenoids don't work, is it easy to fix ??:confused:

greg