Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I bought my first Subaru this weekend! A new Outback 2.5i Wagon.

Turning into my street after only putting 32mi on the clock, all the warning lights started flashing, and the transmission 'shifted' to neutral.

After coming to a complete stop, the transmission re-enagaged, but the engine warning light stayed on.

Anyone experience anything like this before?

automatic transmission i guess? AWD or FWD? seems it has to be auto AWD but best to give us more information.

if all the dash lights came on, that sounds electrical - battery, alternator, or belt (that drives the alternator). alternator and battery are a nice place to start since the local auto parts stores all check them for free now anyway. i'd have a look at the belt right away, see if it's broken/working properly.

did the check engine light come on? if so...your friendly local auto parts store (advanced auto parts, autozone...etc) will also read the codes for free as well. if the CE light is on then there's no point in guessing what it is, the codes it spits out will tell you the problem.

Yes, sorry - Auto transmission, AWD.

Yes the check engine light came on, so did the AT Temp light.

Since it's a brand new car I had Subaru come and get it. I was just trying to get a feel for whether this was a common or know problem. Or if it had happened to anyone else.

It just doesn't feel good with only 32mi on the clock.