Ultimate Subaru Message Board

replace sideview mirror '99 forester

Hello everybody, it has been awhile since i have posted, and am glad to be back! I have just moved way up north to Traverse City, Michigan, from Dallas, Texas, and wanted to say howdy to all of you northern Michiganders! I am now in the care of a 1999 Forester that needs the passenger sideview mirror (heated) replaced. A local Mechanic wants almost $400 to replace it and i can get one from Gene's salvage for $55- but I can't quite figure out how to get the thing off. I have not yet bought the haynes manual, so any help would be great! Thanks so much!!!

These are an easy diy. I'm not familiar with your model, but on my 02 Outback there is a small tweeter on the inside of the door (opposite the mirror) that just pops off. If you have the same be careful not to pull it out too far, as the wires to the tweeter are small and very short. Under it you'll find some foam that simply pulls out and then 3 10 mm nuts that disconnect the mirror from the body. You may find that the wiring harness to the mirror is right there, or you may have to entirely remove the door panel to get to the wiring harness. Some cars make it necessary to remove the entire door panel to get to the three mirror nuts, and others have a triangular shaped plastic panel that is either held on with a screw (usually behind a plastic plug) or simply just pops off. Whichever, always plug into the wiring harness to test the new mirror before you install everything back onto the door. Good Luck!