Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WRX discs on XT

joostvdw

I have been thinking for a bit, and if I were ever to swap a EJ20T into my XT turbo, I would like the braking upgraded, since going 5 lug is almost impossible (due to parts availability), and since the spline count is already sorted, I would like to keep the 4x140 pattern (and thus my current hubs, rims, axles)

so, could I just redrill the WRX front discs for the EA pattern, and perhaps mount WRX calipers at the front, 200sx (for the handbrake) at the rear? that should solve the brake problems right?

oh goodness no.....completely different mount. the EJ rotors slide over the lug studs on the hub. whereas on an EA car, the rotor bolts to the back of the hub.

and on top of that, in the back, the EJ rotors have a little mini-drum in the center for the ebrake.

unfortunately, the only brake upgrade option is 5-lug. then you could use EJ knuckles on the front, and THEN use WRX rotors and calipers. but still only XT6 rear rotors (bigger), and either stock calipers, or 200SX (same size caliper/piston, just has ebrake lever on it too).

sorry...but you're options are pretty limited. but, the good news is, for 5-lug, you only need lower front control arms, rear rotors/hubs, and rear backing plates. everything else can either be regular EA82t, or EJ.

oh goodness no.....completely different mount. the EJ rotors slide over the lug studs on the hub. whereas on an EA car, the rotor bolts to the back of the hub.

and on top of that, in the back, the EJ rotors have a little mini-drum in the center for the ebrake.

hmm, and you couldn't possible convert the EA hubs to the over-the-lugs-style of the EJ series?

in the rear I would keep the original XT discs with 200sx calipers for the e-brake, because I knew about the mini-ebrake-drum ;)

you have to realise it is probably cheaper and easier for me to do a lot of machine work than to have the entire back end from a XT6 shipped here.

you couldn't even use wrx brakes on the front if you wanted to keep your wheels since you need 16" wheels to clear them... (or some 15" alloys) so using your stock 13" wheels won't work...

and i'm not use on this but i doubt the pug wheels would clear WRX brakes...

RS brakes are a different animal...(15" steel wheels are usable)

i'm sure getting xt-6 parts shipped over to you wouldn't be that huge of a deal and finding impreza parts shouldn't be to hard to get locally... where is the rest of that car you got the ej20t from?;)

and you don't need the entire back end of an xt-6... you need backing plates, rotors and hubs... that's it... you could probably fit it all in a shoe box...(well, almost... a ski boot box for sure...:rolleyes:)

oh and you might wanna look at www.crossbreadperformance.com

if it's to much money to order xt-6 bits then this is going to be to much aswell... but it's worth a look.. perhaps some insperation... :)

let me tell you it is worth the money to find the right stuff. if you can afford the EJ20 converson you should be able to afford the right brake upgrade to keep you alive.

i have an EJ20 in my 88 wagon and did the WRX front rotors and calapers with the XT6 rear rotors with 200SX calapers.

it is worth the extra $150-$200 to make the car stop as well as it goes.

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

P.S. why are there no prices on that webpage with the brake convereson stuff?

that entire back end thing was hypothetical ;) but you get what I mean.

that kit from crossbredperformance doesn't look that bad, it's only 600 euro's...

I do btw have 15" inch alloys, so I'm still going to have a look, I'll probably find out what you guys already know :rolleyes: but I want to see it with my own 2 eyes.

thanks for the info anyway!