Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just replaced the radiator and hoses on my 96 L 2.5. But don't know how to burp the sys. to get all of the air out. What i have done so far. is replace all coolent, started car with radiator cap off. and would add coolent as needed. After no more needing to add. coolent i took her out for a short ride, car responded normal and temp. never got above the normal rang. Is that all there is?

Strakes, even Setright has room for improvement :D

The latest revision on the purge is as follows:

"This will dislodge the few air pockets that are unavoidable and the fluid level in the radiator should drop a little after the burp, top it off.

Start the engine again, and let it run until the radiator fan starts running, be patient! When then fan starts running, top off the level in the rad and install the radiator cap - and bleed screw if there is one. During the warm up, a small amount of coolant will spill over the rad filler neck, have a cloth to absorb it."

The beauty is that once the fan is running, you can be certain that the thermostat is open and that means good flow and proper air pocket purging ;)