Ultimate Subaru Message Board

throttle cable

Erm, i had my intake plenum off, and i notice when the gas inside is floored, the throttle plate doesnt open all the way, only like 3/4 of the way, mabye less. and it i take my hand and pull on the cable or what its connected to i can easily make it open more, and theres a ton of slack in the pedal.

So when floored, should the butterfly be open all the way and wich way to i adjust it?

Adjust the cable so there's not much slack when the pedal is at the idle position. There's a set of adjuster nuts at the business end of the cable (where the sleeve ends) that let you adjust the slack. Tighten things up until there's very little slack, and things should improve dramatically.

-=Russ=-

so, to rephrase the answer, in terms of the question.. the throttle plate SHOULD open more than 3/4 of the way with the pedal action, and if you can open it further with the wire, by hand, than by the pedal, it needs tightening?

I haven't actually even looked at my car yet, but I seem to recall thinking it might could be opening a bit further, once, when I did look down the TB. Not something I do all that often, you know.