Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electronic Throttle in 2006 Outback

We just bought a 2006 Outback with 5-speed box. I learned that it has an "electronic throttle" or "drive-by-wire" motor.

I'm a performance driver, and find the lag in revving up or settling down very annoying. The lag in settling down makes it hard to do a quick shift.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Please pmail me at terrano1@earthlink.net

Ignore the message you'll get from my SPAM blocker; I'll clear it quickly.

Thanks,

Ron

Complaints yes..about 1 in 5 manual transmission drivers complain about this. Fix...none that i am aware of. It's function reminds me of the 'dashpot' that was used on stick shifts in the 60's/70's to prevent the engine from closing the throttle plate too quickly. Then the engine would stall. But today with all the engine controls, other than for an emissions reason, I can't think of any reason why they would do this.

Complaints yes..about 1 in 5 manual transmission drivers complain about this. Fix...none that i am aware of. It's function reminds me of the 'dashpot' that was used on stick shifts in the 60's/70's to prevent the engine from closing the thrittle plate too quickly. Then the engine would stall. But today with all the engine controls, other than for an emissions reason, I can't think of any reason why they would do this.

It seems that a revised CPU chip could solve this. Are there any aftermarket chip guys?

Not that I'm aware of, there are different reflash and running programs written for turbo Subaru's, most by Cobb, but they get expensive.

But there may be some other ECU reprogrammers out there, just try searching around. Be aware, there is no swappable 'chip' in the Subaru ECU, unlike other manufacturers have done.

Hmm, I've not had trouble with my Forester 2.5XT...but that does have a turbocharger to obscure things.

Having said that, I've driven a long distance in a NA 2.5 Outback and don't recall having problems getting the revs to drop. They only tend to "hang" when it's cold.

There could be differences between Euro and US models.

Might be worth visiting the dealer to talk about a possible fault in the system.

A friend on mine had a similar complaint about his 05 Impreza 2.5 RS MT. I noticed it was not a responsive as my 98 Legacy GT.

I was driving an 05 Impreza 2.5 RS auto for a few months and it was not a bad as his. I know an auto isn't quite the best comparison, but it was noticeable more responsive then his.

He put in a K&N air filter, which seemed to help a little bit, but not enough.

The dealer told him variations in the servos that actuate the throttle cause this and that it was within the specifications, so they would not replace it under warranty.

He traded that in on an 07 Legacy 2.5i MT and says it is much better.

Do you think it's a programming limitation or an actual physical limitation of how fast the throttle can move with whatever actuator is on it?

I'm pretty sure it's part of the emission reduction; closing the throttle slowly reduces emission. The numbers on emission for this engine are near zero. Someone in an earlier p[ost reminded me that the old solution was to have a dashpot, to retard the throttle butterfly closure.

The drive-by-wire throttle does simpify the car quite a bit, in all honesty.

It eliminates the ENTIRE cruise control system. Cruise control is completely computer-controlled and integrated into the drive-by-wire setup. That's a lot of weight savings.

It also eliminates the need for the fancy idle control systems of yore. No IAC valves, etc. It's all controlled by the drive-by-wire.