Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Atmospheric BOV

Hi everyone, just another question if you dont mind. Just bought a box of parts for the EA82T. 200 dollars for a pod filter, boost guage, BOV and MBC. So my question to you fellas is.....where does the MBC go? Does it need to be fabricated between the extremely short standard pipe between the wastegate and ????????. As for the BOV, I rang the guy who I bought them off and he said drill and tap the silver intake thing and put it in there. I have a WRX intercooler that i want to put on at a later date, but if i drill and tap the silver think will it affect my intercooler installation that I want to do later?

Hope you understand what I am trying to say....cheers.

For the first question... I think your describing the vaccum line that goes from the compressor to the BC to the Waste gate..... as for that one... bypass the stock BC and then put the MBC in between the wastegate and the compressor Vaccume lines.... You have a good boost gauge right?? Because boost controllers are addicting and you can easily blow up you roo!!! So my advice is go really really slow with the knob!!! and dont blow it up! hehe.

For the first question... I think your describing the vaccum line that goes from the compressor to the BC to the Waste gate..... as for that one... bypass the stock BC and then put the MBC in between the wastegate and the compressor Vaccume lines.... You have a good boost gauge right?? Because boost controllers are addicting and you can easily blow up you roo!!! So my advice is go really really slow with the knob!!! and dont blow it up! hehe.

+1 on the boost gauge.

The stock "BC" is called the wastegate duty solenoid. Being his is an 86, it won't have it. 87+ used the duty solenoid for things like altitude compensation.

You should plumb in the boost controller between the wastegate and the compressor housing.

+1 on the boost gauge.

The stock "BC" is called the wastegate duty solenoid. Being his is an 86, it won't have it. 87+ used the duty solenoid for things like altitude compensation.

You should plumb in the boost controller between the wastegate and the compressor housing.

Thanks for the response...mine is actually an 87, not an 86 as mentioned by my incorrect posting. How do I bypass the stock controller...thanks. What I have seen is a piece of pipe probably only 2 inches across on the front side of the turbo,,,is that where it goes? and yes not really wanting to put it in until the I/C is in. Thanks

Thanks for the response...mine is actually an 87, not an 86 as mentioned by my incorrect posting. How do I bypass the stock controller...thanks. What I have seen is a piece of pipe probably only 2 inches across on the front side of the turbo,,,is that where it goes? and yes not really wanting to put it in until the I/C is in. Thanks

another problem since the last post.....coolant overflow is bubbling, I know this sounds like a head gasket but I really dont think it is....put a pod filter on last run and "young fella" hooked up the green things that General Disorder, mentioned in another post, since then its been running bad........any other guesses?

Cheers.

Until you get your intercooler in there, I'd hold off on the boost controller and the BOV. Thats kind of a packaged deal and doing it all together at the same time, you'll benefit from it then doing it in stages. So install the IC, with the BOV, then after you get that done, install your MBC. Since our cars stock don't have an IC, then stock boost is all I would run. If you run more boost with no IC, it'll be hotter then stock, which will more then likely give you a ping or predetonation at higher RPMS.

okay, number one, if you are DRIVING with the green connectors together, then unplug them. The green connectors are there for timing the engine, and checking for stored ECU codes (IE, "why did the CEL come on a while ago, and turn off?") They are NOT supposed to be plugged in for regular use.

Number two, regarding the bubbling overflow.. the only thing that makes it bubble is positive pressure leaking past the seal of the radiator cap. THIS could be happening for a number of reasons.

in no particular order:

1. Headgasket bad, pushing cylinder compression into cooling system;

2. seal on radiator cap bad/mating surface on radiator dirty or pitted;

3. improper pressure holding of radiator cap (failed or too low a rating)

4. overheating, causing higher than regular coolant temperature (and thereby raising pressure)

Now, I am assuming you would know to double check your temperature gauge. Also assuming that you have ruled out overheating, DESPITE any potential faulty gauge reading. Check the radiator cap seal, and the radiator filler neck.. and if its an old cap, replace it. the stock pressure rating is 13 lbs or so, the parts store should be able to tell you. all EA-82s used the same cap.. otherwise, ive got some bad news for you... check the color of your coolant, and drain your oil and take a good look at it in the sunlight, in an open pan.... because the chances are rather high that you've got a blown headgasket. It's an EA-82 turbo. There are people on the board who hear that you just bought one and say, "chances are rather high that you've got a blown headgasket." sorry.