Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I replace the spark plugs on my 2003 Outback wagon, 4 cyl. Oil had leaked into one of the deep sparkplug pocket (front driver's side.) (I don't know what else to call it). Is this from the head gasket or the rocker cover gasket? I recently had the head gaskets replace under warranty.

Hi, I had that issue on my '00obw; not sure if the 2003 is the same setup, but on the '00 2.5L 4cyl there are spark plug hole gaskets over the spark plug hole under the valve cover. When new, these are nice and springy and seal well; if they get mushy or the valve covers are removed and the seals aren't replaced it might start leaking.

sparkplugholeseals-00obw-1.jpg

Yup, porcupine is right on.

2003 should be the same setup. While you're in there I would replace the 2 spark plug grommets in the pic. As well as the valve cover gasket and the gaskets that go to the valve cover bolts (5 or 6 of these i think).

You didn't mention how many miles; but if it's near 100k it may be worthwhile to check the valve lash while you're there?

Yup, porcupine is right on.

2003 should be the same setup. While you're in there I would replace the 2 spark plug grommets in the pic. As well as the valve cover gasket and the gaskets that go to the valve cover bolts (5 or 6 of these i think).

You didn't mention how many miles; but if it's near 100k it may be worthwhile to check the valve lash while you're there?

I've got 85,000 on the car and the dealer just replaced the head gaskets. I guess they reused the old gaskets. Back to the dealer.