Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"What would Scooby Do?"

bgd73

I found an interesting article about the creator of "scooby do" who just passed away today at 95.

The old soob has several nicknames, Scooby being one if them. I haven't seen that cartoon since I was a kid- over 25 years ago.

I kinda felt bad for attempting to scrape the sticker on the back window of my 87 off (the title of this thread), It is petrified to the glass like the monument my old soob is turning into, but it is altered: "What would ---- Do?"

Appropriate question for the times...

I hope this isn't off-topic, but it may be interesting for those who have heard "Scooby" as the car nickname, but it really is a cartoon dog invented by Joseph Barbera, who died today. :drunk: R.I.P.

EDIT:

After that article I did some more digging. As it turns out barbera wasn't the actual creator of what we know as "scooby doo" he was a producer with bill hanna- The actual animator/inventor of scooby doo has a fascinating origin from hiroshima japan, his family came to america for health.He learned to draw in an "internment camp" .There is always facts with imagination, the nickname "scooby" for the suby is now more than a goofy rhyme really (to me anyway).

here is the wikipedia article about Iwao Takamoto (he clearly seemed to be lacking credit for this- barbera seemed to be credited). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iwao_Takamoto

I am glad I dug at the meaining of scooby doo on the car. Childish stuff is not what I think of the old soobs. "scooby" was not all that childish I guess...

When I first got my car, the scooby doo air freshener had to go... I put it in my tool box as I knew it was old. I did not want it in my car, I think I even said "This is ridiculous". Anyway, I was painting the back end of the car with all my tools out on the ground and smelled something burning. I turned around to see the scooby doo air freshener on fire. I joked " I just exorcised the kid ghost stuck in the car", as I found no reason for the spontaneous combustion. :grin:

I guess some of us mechanically inclined have to exorcise the car as well as work on them...:lol:

Ok. I humored the previous owners attempt at calling the car "scooby".. or whatever they were doing. I found this sticker and laughed. My car turns pink in the rain.. any decal makers? would like a very small version of this one: :)

scoobywithapinkrosefh0.jpg

and this one, I like better if it could be enlarged (4wd crawling?):

scooby0lg5.jpg

I believe we have an off-topic forum for just this kind of stuff.

thanks for moderating. "Scooby" is very much a topic, as a nickname, its been there randomly heard since the 70's for soobs. Avoiding thoughts it being childish, I satisfied the reason beyond a rhyme (did you read my first post?). That's all. :)