Ultimate Subaru Message Board

spring lift and tire diameter question

Well, it's been a while since I've had the scorpion springs and KYB GR2 struts installed on my '98 Outback and I still love it! Now, it's getting time to get new tires and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend the safest maximum tire diameter for this set up – it seems the clearances in the wheel wells are the limiting factor. I was hoping to get another inch or so using some sort of light duty truck tire. How much space between tire and strut/wheel well is safe?

Any ideas or suggestions?

gringorio

I have 205/75/15 AT's (Firestone Destination) on mine and am happy with those. I can say they will definitely fit as I have the same setup on my 97 (Scorpion springs and GR2's). These fit before my spring lift but rubbed slightly on turns + dips. With the spring lift I have had no rubbing ever.

MAYBE you could go 215/75/15 but I can't confirm that, I'd probably not try it myself.

Your mileage will drop somewhat with these versus a regular all season tire. Handling is slightly sacrificed due to higher sidewall and beefier tread. But the pluses off pavement and in snow more than make up for that IMO.

Steve

I have 205/75/15 AT's (Firestone Destination) on mine and am happy with those. I can say they will definitely fit as I have the same setup on my 97 (Scorpion springs and GR2's). These fit before my spring lift but rubbed slightly on turns + dips. With the spring lift I have had no rubbing ever.

MAYBE you could go 215/75/15 but I can't confirm that, I'd probably not try it myself.

Your mileage will drop somewhat with these versus a regular all season tire. Handling is slightly sacrificed due to higher sidewall and beefier tread. But the pluses off pavement and in snow more than make up for that IMO.

Steve

FWIW, Larger tires will make your APPARENT gas mileage decrease, but they also lower your speedometer and odometer readings.With judicious throttle, you can improve gas mileage only very slightly while keeping the same (as original size) speed.

Too large a tire can cause snow/ice buildup between wheel well and tire.

FWIW, Larger tires will make your APPARENT gas mileage decrease, but they also lower your speedometer and odometer readings.

You're correct... but going from the all seasons the OP probably has to the higher rolling resistance AT tire I recommended will make your ACTUAL gas mileage decrease slightly. I'm talking real world results here, and I'm factoring in the larger diameter / lower odometer. And FWIW the speedo is probably more correct now than before... stock speedos usually read a little bit high.

Steve