Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electrical gremlins after engine removal

After removing and reinstalling the engine from my '81 hatch I've had some electrical problems show up. The first problem that I noticed was that there was no power going to the fuel pump. I also discovered that there are a lot of warning lights on the dash that don't go off after the car is started. I put a weber carb on it a couple of weeks ago and it was running fine until now. It still runs, but I had to run a different wire to power the fuel pump. One possibility is a connector that goes near the alternator but isn't plugged into anything. I don't remember if it was plugged into anything before or not. It is a two lead connector that is in the same bundle with the two wires that are hooked up to the alternator. Any ideas on what I should look at?

If the two wire plug is shapped like a T then thats your alternator wire, and thats rather important.

Go through and make sure all your connections are tight and that everything that was plugged in is, any shiny clean halves of connectors should have a mate.

I see...so where does that plug in exactly? There is a ring terminal that I have on the small stud on the back of the alternator and also a female spade connector that is on a male spade on the back of the alternator. Is the T-shaped connector supposed to be what's on the male spade?