Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Good Subie service in Pasadena?

Dunno how many other SoCal Subaritics are in here, but the Forester is in need of a little attention and we have a (possibly unfounded) prejudice against using dealers' shops. There are several garages in Pasadena that advertise themselves as Subaru fixers, but we like to get recommendations whenever we can. That's how we found one of the best (and the cheapest!) Alfa mechanics on the West Coast, but he works only on Alfas. Of course a guy could starve to death if he worked on nothing but Subies!

Anyway, if anyone's got a recommendation I'd love to get it. Nothing really serious, probably - it's just throwing a little oil now and then and making noises like something's rubbing, and the front brakes put up a terrific vibration on first application at high speed, so we do need to get it looked at soon.

I used to live in SoCal, and IMHO, there is only one place in the San Gabriel Valley that I would trust with my machine. That's SubySpecialties in Monrovia. I had the flexplate on my auto tranny (on a '96 Outback) replaced there - a few of the bolts that hold the flexplate in place had backed out, and my original plate flexed a bit more than it was designed to! I didn't have the equipment to drop the tranny myself when we were living in California so I took the advice of a fellow-Sube owner where I used to work and went there, instead of going to Sierra Subaru. I got a bad feeling from the bozo behind the service counter at Sierra, so an independent shop was the only way I felt comfortable going. I was very satisfied with SubySpecialties - they know what they are doing, and they do it very well! They have a website: http://www.subyspecialties.com/

I recommend them highly! :)

BTW - Here in Colorado, where every other car on the road is a Sube - there are guys who actually can support themselves as independent Subaru mechanics!