Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help with sputtering 2.2 Legacy

I need help with a sputtering problem. First I will begin with the car, 99 Legacy, 2.2 automatic.

Now the problem, the car sputters, loss of power but when it is cold it seems to run fine.

My OBD2 reader pulled 3 codes, 02 sensor slow, I have had this before, never affected to performance, second code is cylinder 1 misfiring which will explain the sputtering, I checked the coil and the wire, great spark and the plugs were changed 2 years ago, I will replace them this weekend, the third code was for a malfunctioning knock sensor circuit, I read some other posts here on this subject and I bit the bullet and paid the 97 dollars for a new one, but still same sputtering.

I thought that the knock sensor could be causing the timing to be off therefore affecting cylinder #1, but I was wrong.

So, where do I go from here? I bet this may be an easy fix, something I am overlooking, but the sputtering is obviously caused by the misfiring cylinder. I am assuming with previous auto experience, the timing belt if it jumped a tooth would affect the cars performance all the time , so I doubt there is a problem there.

So, I have been helped and have given out help, let me hear !!! I will be checking in here over the weekend, so between football games, chime in please, the men with the wisdom are being called.

Thanks guys.:-\

If you have a temperature related issue, ie runs fine when cold or hot, but not the other, you may need to replace the coolant temp sensor.

You may also have an issue with a spark plug that has a crack in it, and the heat makes it misfire. Same goes for the wires....so those are some things I'd check.

Thanks to all that replied, I appreciate it. I replaced the plugs and wires, I disconnected the battery for awhile then I took it for a test ride, all seems good right now. I ran it for 10 miles or so, it was good and warm and it "seems" fine for now. I deliver mail in this car so tomorrow I will see a true test. I also am pulling no codes now and the CEL is not illuminated as of now. I do know that it may rear it's ugly head soon in the future, till then we will wait and see.

DanO