Ultimate Subaru Message Board

grinding/rubbing while turning right

So I developed a grinding type sound whenever I turn right. It only happens if the wheel is turned far enough, like a half turn, and usually needs some kind of speed. I can't figure it out. It sounds like its coming from the back, and devloped after my last time off roading. When I go in for an inspection I'm going to have them look at it, just wondering if you guys had any ideas. I was maybe thinking that the strut is rubbing on the tire? I'm pretty sure its original suspension @ 121k. How would I test this theory out? Again it only happens when turning right, almost sounds like the muffler is dragging on the ground (it's not).

Could be your tins on the back side of the wheel hub. They reduce the introduction of mud etc to rear drums. To test this theory, it's best to put the rear on jackstands and rotate the wheels (neutral). If you hear any scraping sounds, you've isolated the problem. Solution: bend the tin back away from the drum. Worked for me.

Correction: My apologies Fnlyfnd- I was thinking old gen....

I have a 99 Forester with 116K miles that suffers from a bad right rear wheel bearing. It's been making noise for the past 40K miles or so -- very faint at first and getting noisier. At first, I thought it might be tire noise , then more recently feared it might be the rear differential. I've been dealing with the same intermittent grinding/scraping noise from the rear right wheel for the past 10K miles or so. I've taken the rear disc brakes apart and regreased the parking brake, thinking (hoping) that it might be something other than the bearing causing the noise. I have no play in the wheel, but do feel some vibration in the rear suspension coil spring as I rotate the wheel. This confirmed it for me. You'll need to have all four wheels off the ground to check this.

If you find that everything else is in order -- that your disc back plate is straight and that nothing else is impeding the rotation of the half shaft -- I would suspect that it's your wheel bearing. I'll be doing mine next summer. It really sucks with these cars. The person from whom I purchased this car had both rear wheel bearings done twice in the first 59K miles at two different dealerships. At 59K, they used the updated roller bearings. I'm thinking that poor workmanship may have caused the most recent failure but sure wish Subaru would/could fix this issue. I've never experienced or hear of wheel bearing failures at this rate.

If there's no play, is that a good indication that it's probably something other than the wheel bearing?

I'm a little confused after reading these posts as well.

IF {when all 4 wheels are off the ground AND there is no free play in the wheel }

THEN I have a wheel bearing problem?

also, assuming I do, what does this mean in terms of cost?

hahahaha....broken exhaust hangers, need to be welded back on. He said the wheel bearing should be good for antoher 10k before it starts showing signs of wear. I got under the car and didn't notice the hangers, but it was cold out and I didn't like laying on the cold driveway.