Ultimate Subaru Message Board

27-29in mud tires under my 90 legacy wagon.

ImprezaRSC

What does it take to simply run 27-29in Super Swampers under my '90 legacy wagon? Will the outback/gr2 combo work or does it require a body lift? Simply fitting an aggressive, sizeable tire is what I want and it must not rub. There does appear to be plenty of room under there to work with, but what really fits? Get the largest tire under there that's possible without a body lift.

The 90 Leggy wagon in question has many many miles and is beaten. "Massaging" the fenders is an option :lol: . Legacies, Imprezas, and Foresters all seem to get different gains from the same parts. Getting 10 inches or more of clearance at the diffs is what I would like. "Noticeably lifted" and effective is the goal. Nerf bumpers aren't out of the question, either. I'd like to avoid a body lift, too. Reading about them ripping out of the chassis doesn't make me trust them. 6in. lifts are sick but appear problematic and hard to come by. That trick of moving the bottom shock bolt to the top of the spindle looks a litte unsafe, though it would add that sky-jacked feel I'd still love to have out of the car. The tires don't appear to clear that bolt trick either.

What really are my options? Fitting something like these tires below-but correctly sized-are what I'd like to do.

http://www.tirepackage.com/detail.asp?type=sys&id=443&prodlineid=41&make=15%20Inch%20Rim%20Size&partNumber=SSTSSR-03R

you're gonna hit the strut perch before you hit the fenders, even with the forester struts. The forester bits will make it able to clear with some trimming to the fenders, but you're gonna need something to get rid of the lower perch, like coilovers or some creative fabricating.

Thanks for the input. I'll be swapping the OBW/Forrester springs/struts in soon. I think they're the same combo as what is on your wagon in that pic. Regardless, it's nice to know 27's fit with no mods. Are those the 27x8.5x16? I'm looking at the same only with a 15in rim.

You've got other good pics in here. Mind if I raid a bit?

PICT9175.jpg

PICT9178.jpg

This kind of tread pattern is what I was looking for. A big lift would be nice, but I was hoping to be able to do just enough to get a tread pattern like that underneath it. Even if I had to coax it by fender trimming, I'd be cutting off rusty metal anyway :lol: It needs struts regardless of what I put on it. It needs them now...well, right after it passes emissions and gets tags :D. Snow tires will get it around, but these struts have to go.