Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rewiring Speakers for common ground

I searched on this but didn't really get anything i was looking for.

I have a 92 Loyale and supposedly my speakers have a common ground. I looked at the wiring diagram in my repair manual and was wondering do I have to run wires for everything, or can I just do the rears since they are tied into the front speakers? If I only have to do the rears I'm thinking about just running them off my amp so Ill have less wire to run to the back. What you guys think?

Easiest thing I found to do:

There's a two wire Pink/Red connector in each front foot well. That goes to the front speakers. Cut the connector off on the interior side. Splice in new speaker wire and run that to the stereo. Much easier than running new wire through the doors, or long lengths of wire to the rear speakers.

Easiest thing I found to do:

There's a two wire Pink/Red connector in each front foot well. That goes to the front speakers. Cut the connector off on the interior side. Splice in new speaker wire and run that to the stereo. Much easier than running new wire through the doors, or long lengths of wire to the rear speakers.

This is what I did too. @ speaker wires under the dash are easy to run. It's really easy to just use spade connectors to connect to the little pink connectors in the footwells. Then you can just wire your stereo into the stock harness for the back, since the fronts will no longer be connected to it.

The foot well is where your feet fit.

Look underneath the dash, near on the side of the car, near where all the wires go through that rubber loom to enter the front door. There's a little plastic panel that covers up all the wires. Pull it off, and mess around in there. You'll find a two wire, pink connector amidst all that. That's the connector for the speakers. Make sure its pink/red, and make sure its two wire, as there are other pink connectors, but they're not two wire, and there are other two wire connectors, but they're not pink. Note: The FSM says its a red connector, though all the ones I've seen are pink.

You can do as Gloyale said, and disconnect the connector and use spade connectors to connect new speaker wires to the harness. Or, do as I said and cut the interior side of the connector off and splice on new speaker wire. Either way works, and Gloyale's makes it easiest to return to stock.