Ultimate Subaru Message Board

newer transmission parts on old car.

shift

The rear end is the same unless your using a late model Legacy rear end. The RX, loyale, XT LSD rear end will fit fine. The driveshaft is connected with four small bolts. The thing you need to pay attention too is the gear ratio. The non-turbo cars had 3.90 ratio, the turbo cars have 3.70. You can swap the gears to get the ratio matched to the tranny ratio. Take a look at the sticker on yours, it will have the ratio and compare it to the LSD rear diff you have. If you decide not to use the LSD let me know, I am looking for one.

rear diff is easy if you match the gear ratio as already mentioned.

tranny can't be done without swapping the engine too. the driveshaft end is the same, but the bellhousings are different. you're EA engine bellhousing is about 1/2" too deep, so the EJ tranny input shaft won't reach the clutch plate.

rear diff is easy if you match the gear ratio as already mentioned.

tranny can't be done without swapping the engine too. the driveshaft end is the same, but the bellhousings are different. you're EA engine bellhousing is about 1/2" too deep, so the EJ tranny input shaft won't reach the clutch plate.

so lets say i were to get an 02 to 06 sti rear end, it would bolt right up? beside the fact that i might have to make some new mounting spots? what about the teeth differences on the driveshaft?

so lets say i were to get an 02 to 06 sti rear end, it would bolt right up? beside the fact that i might have to make some new mounting spots? what about the teeth differences on the driveshaft?

STi's use a different rear end. It would need a little more customization to bolt up.

Don't worry about teeth differences. Worry about the ratio. On the older diffs, there's a tag on the rear that will say 3.700, or 3.900 or 4.111 to say what ratio it is. You need to find a rear diff that matches the ratio you have.

STi's have a different gear ratio iirc.

What you're looking for is probably going to be a 3.7 or 3.9 (rare) CLSD from an 80s Subaru Turbo, or a 3.9 VLSD from an early turbo legacy.

Good luck.

^^what he said...

the driveshaft doesn't have a splined slip yoke on the diff end like the tranny does. it's got a flange with 4 bolts. any r160 rear end will work. which is any subaru except STi, which have r180s. STis do have a 3.9 axle ratio though, so if you could find a way to mount it up, it would work. but you'd have to be pretty creative about the axles. your best bet is a clutch-type rear end from a turbo EA82. or a VLSD from an early legacy turbo (5-speeds were 3.9).

^^what he said...

the driveshaft doesn't have a splined slip yoke on the diff end like the tranny does. it's got a flange with 4 bolts. any r160 rear end will work. which is any subaru except STi, which have r180s. STis do have a 3.9 axle ratio though, so if you could find a way to mount it up, it would work. but you'd have to be pretty creative about the axles. your best bet is a clutch-type rear end from a turbo EA82. or a VLSD from an early legacy turbo (5-speeds were 3.9).

pricing on vlsd? i had a friend who i helped put a vlsd on his 240sx, that car handeled well.

pricing on vlsd? i had a friend who i helped put a vlsd on his 240sx, that car handeled well.

If you can find them new, expect to pay $700 or more. I know you can get the clutch pack unit for the clutch LSDs from Subaru or NISMO (they're the same diffs) for $500 or more.

Your best bet is going to be a junkyard or wait for them to pop up on the boards. They do pop up, sometimes.