Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ25T and EJ20T, semi close or open deck?

I was talking with a guy at the Subaru dept at the Auto Show and he told me that the only semi closed deck on the market for now is in the STi. It is hard for me to believe since turboed 2.2 legacies got semi closed deck in the early 90's. Why would Subaru go back in deck strenght for forced induction engines and use open decks?

So... about the turboed 2.5 and 2.0 found in regular WRX, are they open or semi closed?

I was talking with a guy at the Subaru dept at the Auto Show and he told me that the only semi closed deck on the market for now is in the STi. It is hard for me to believe since turboed 2.2 legacies got semi closed deck in the early 90's. Why would Subaru go back in deck strenght for forced induction engines and use open decks?

So... about the turboed 2.5 and 2.0 found in regular WRX, are they open or semi closed?

Well that depends, there are open and semi-closed and well as closed deck EJ20's. I'm not that familar with the EJ25, but I understand that there are both open and semi-closed decked engines, I think the STi blocks are semi-closed, the others are open.

<<I was talking with a guy at the Subaru dept at the Auto Show and he told me that the only semi closed deck on the market for now is in the STi. It is hard for me to believe since turboed 2.2 legacies got semi closed deck in the early 90's. Why would Subaru go back in deck strenght for forced induction engines and use open decks?

So... about the turboed 2.5 and 2.0 found in regular WRX, are they open or semi closed?>>

first mistake is talking to a person at an auto show. there usually not the best trained with the technical aspects of the older cars. on to your questions: the 2.2T block in the 91-94 turbo legacy was a closed deck block as was the EJ20G which was non usa spec made in the 1990's. every EJ25 and (EJ22 2001)up to the 2004 was open deck. the STI uses a semi closed 2.5 as well as the 2006 up WRX and 2005 or 2006 turbo Forester and Legacy. its alot more expensive to build a closed deck block these days and technology has improved since 1991.

the STI uses a semi closed 2.5 as well as the 2006 up WRX and 2005 or 2006 turbo Forester and Legacy.

The Forester XT has had the semi-closed deck since its inception in MY04 (engine is identical with the one in the STi save for slightly different heads).

the 2.2T block in the 91-94 turbo legacy was a closed deck block as was the EJ20G which was non usa spec made in the 1990's.
Not every EG20G is closed deck, I have a short block in my garage right now that is a semi closed deck, it came from an early JDM Legacy. Some of the data that I have read also backs that up. On some EJ20G powered Legacy there were even open deck engines. The later engines, EJ20K were semi-closed as were the EJ205s and EJ207s. I believe all WRX EG20G engines were closed deck (1993 to 1996), the EJ20K was 97 and 98 I believe and the EJ205s and EJ207s in 99 and 00. (but I'm not real sure on the EJ205 or 207).