Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello, P0xxx is a generic ODBII code. At least for '00obw (closest service manual i have listing that code) that means

A/T DTC P0483 - COOLING FAN FUNCTION PROBLEM

DTC DETECTING CONDITION: Two consecutive driving cycles with fault

TROUBLE SYMPTOM: Occurrence of noise; Overheating

Do the cooling fans seem to turn on at all? Do the funs cycle on and off if th A/C is on? Does the temp gauge seem to get any higher than the middle or so?

I have a '98 Forester.

Temp gauge does not go more than in the middle...once it's all heated up it stays in the same spot. Has not overheated since I have owned it. Only other info I got was from Mitchell on Demand at work...basically saying that it could even be caused by parking next to another vehicle while at idle...strange.

Hello, P0xxx is a generic ODBII code. At least for '00obw (closest service manual i have listing that code) that means

A/T DTC P0483 - COOLING FAN FUNCTION PROBLEM

DTC DETECTING CONDITION: Two consecutive driving cycles with fault

TROUBLE SYMPTOM: Occurrence of noise; Overheating

Do the cooling fans seem to turn on at all? Do the funs cycle on and off if th A/C is on? Does the temp gauge seem to get any higher than the middle or so?

It means the ECU turned both fans on and expected the coolant temp to decrease by X degrees after a predetermined time and it did not.

Be certain both fans are operational, The radiator is clear for air to pass thru, nothing blocking airflow, could be a clogged radiator. could be low on coolant. But now you get the idea...... ECU tried to cool the engine and couldn't.