Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Code 34

iv'e got a code 34 and dont know how to fix it ive replaced the egr silinoide but am stumped as how else to fix the prob by the way i have a 88 1.8 subaru dl spfi please help me out that angry little red CHECK ENGINE light is gonna drive me up the wall :Flame:

thanks ahead of time

Red Subaru

I suspect the problem is in one of the connectors between the solenoid and the ECU. My info shows that a Blue/red wire runs from the solenoid to pin 4 on one of the ECU connectors. There is a black, 6 pin, circular connector (F42) near the battery that the wire runs through. You may be able to clear the problem by just pulling the connector apart and reconnecting it. If that doesn't work then I would start checking the wiring with a ohmmeter. First see what the coil resistance is at the solenoid. The second wire goes to ground so you should get a reading by just touching the B/r wire and ground, with the solenoid connected to the socket, using your meter. If you don't see around 40 ohms then check the ground wire for a open connection. There are other solenoids tied to that ground so I suspect it is really okay. If things are good there then check the pins on both sides of the circular connector.

I don't see how you can get away with placing tape over the CEL light. The test stations here check that light first thing. If it doesn't work in the test mode then the test is over and you fail the test. The CEL light must work before further testing is done. Maybe some states don't require it, but they do here.

I think once things are fixed the error light will turn off immediately.

It looks like the original poster is from Washington (Spokane) and when I had my car tested here they didn't even mention that the CEL was on, so I think he'll be OK. (My car passed with the same problem.) The people who work at the emissions testing stations, at least the one I go to, have a rare mixture of incompetence, apathy, and agressive anger that I've never seen in any other line of work.

Thanks for the detailed instructions on getting the code to clear, too. I need to run through those and see if I can get it to go away before I resort to the tape.