Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 legacy 5 speed input shaft problems?

my 96 subie legacy awd 5 speed is making a bearing noise, i have checked and replaced one set front wheel bearings, i was told by the dealer that it may have an input bearing falure, and it usally takes out the case too, it has 240.000 k on it, has anyone had a similar problem, thanks in advance...Ivan

my 96 subie legacy awd 5 speed is making a bearing noise, i have checked and replaced one set front wheel bearings, i was told by the dealer that it may have an input bearing falure, and it usally takes out the case too, it has 240.000 k on it, has anyone had a similar problem, thanks in advance...Ivan

The short version, Ivan: The only real way to find out is to have the tranny out.

The long version:

I've had one in and out of a Legacy 3 times. The first time was for a problem like what you are describing. I had to get a new transmission because once we pulled the transmission, we found that the thrust bearing that sits in the middle of the flywheel had completely disintegrated. The input shaft was loose, which could only have been because the thrust bearing was no longer supporting the input shaft on the tip.

I will say that if the car is front wheel drive, pulling the transmission should not be incredibly difficult. If it is AWD, then you have to drop the rear drive shaft in addition to the front wheel CV shafts. It can be expensive for diagnosis in labor alone, not even touching the price of a transmission and clutch replacement. If you are going to do it yourself, there are a few things I found out when pulling mine. When you pull the rear drive shaft off the transmission, you will need a plastic bag and heavy rubber band to stop oil from leaking everywhere out of the hole :rolleyes:. For the most part, you can finagle the CV shafts out of the front wheel hub and off the transmission without doing much more than popping the bottom ball joint out of the suspension. Also if you do this yourself, try to rent a transmission support jack. A floor jack works, but you need at least two people; the 5 speed AWD is a BEAST for being in a car that size.

My overall point is that it is not HARD to get one out, it's just really time consuming and for the tranny you need at least two people. If you can't do it yourself, expect some pretty high cost in labor, not sure how much exactly. Hope this helps out.

The short version, Ivan: The only real way to find out is to have the tranny out.

The long version:

I've had one in and out of a Legacy 3 times. The first time was for a problem like what you are describing. .........

I guess ill have to pull it to see, its still a good running car, thanks for the reply

No problem Ivan. One thing that REALLY helped me was if I had a question while I was pulling the transmission, I could come on here and ask if I was not sure. Saved a couple of headaches here and there. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask if you need help.

Also, if you can afford it, replace the whole clutch assembly, thrust and throw-out bearing included. The clips for the throw-out bearing you might have to order from the subaru dealer, and possibly the thrust bearing too. Yes it is more money and the clutch may be only half-way used, but for the effort in taking the transmission out, you want to avoid having to do it in another year or two. Believe me, it is well worth it.

- Schmitty

The line about it taking out the Case is BS. I just replaced the main bearing on the input shaft of my 95's 5spd a few months ago. There are two bearings on the shaft. A small one where the shaft first enters the case, and a large one on the back side of shaft. The small bearing is pinned in place, so there is no way for it to spin and damage the case. The rear big bearing is held in place by the clamping force of bolting the case together. In my case it was just the rear or big bearing that was bad, but I reccomend replacing both. The little bearing is an easy slide on/off, but the rear big bearing needs to be pressed on and off.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

:-\ :-\ :-\

8 months ago i got this 96 obw 5MT with 156,000 miles and very noisy trans bearings. i thought no big deal, $1000 for used trans installed. it was quiet and easy shifting (with scottys cocktail), but the VC was bad :mad: . junkyard wouldnt give me anything toward new VC, said can only give me another trans. i weighed the odds and decided it was less risky to just suck it up and have VC replaced at my expense. problems solved right? NOPE! now the input bearing is getting noisy on this trans too! :eek: whats up with this, i had all new oem clutch parts installed, including the pilot bearing. why are the input bearings failing again? what should i do?????:confused: