Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How Many Different Autos for 1998 OBW?

Hello,

I'm in the market for a replacement (used) auto transmission for my 1998 OBW. I did a car-part search and there are several selections depending on manual vs. auto, 2.2 vs. 2.5, AWD vs. FWD, for Legacys/Outbacks.

My car originally had a 2.5 and auto, but someone replaced at least the engine with a 2.2. I do not know if the transmission is original, and I do not know if transmissions are identicle between 2.2 and 2.5 and between what years.

Either way, I need to get a new transmission and need to know how many transmissions were available and what years are compatible. The ID tag on the top of the existing transmission says TZ102Z2DBA-KF.

The ID tag on the top of the existing transmission says TZ102Z2DBA-KF.

this trans was used in with the 2.5L engine in 98 and early 99. this includes outback, GT and LSi if they made one that year. you could also use the 97 2.5L trans, TZ102Z2CBA.

unless the former owner replaced the trans and the rear differential, which is doubtful, you have to use a 2.5L trans. this is designated by the 7TH position '2' in the trans model number.

in 99, late, they changed the to the phase II trans and the wiring harness changed so you can't use those or later (they end in ...ZJEBA). 96 trans are a little tricky because there were 2.5 outbacks and 2.2 outbacks, but again i think the 7TH position '2' is key.

it has also been posted that the last 2 positions in the trans model number mean nothing. they only indicate which car the 2.5L trans was used in, GT vs. outback. so this means that a TZ102Z2DBA = TZ102Z2DAA etc. but it would be good to confirm this by comparing a SUS trans with a OBW.

i don't think you need the TCU if you use the 97 - 99 (early) outback trans.

a recent posting had a link to a transmission part supplier and they sold a rebuild kit for legacy/outback trans which works for 90 - 06 legacy a/t. this would suggest that the trans for all these years are very, very similar. it is my opinion, and only my opinion that all of the late 90's legacy/impresa/forester used the same trans. they just made it work differently for different models by changing the final drive ratio and the shift points by changing the TCU. just my opinion.

so to answer your question, 97 - 99(early), with model # TZ102Z2CBA or TZ102Z2DBA. that is unless they changed the rear diff.

your trans should have the model number on it where the starter is bolted on, driver side near the fire wall, under the air box(?).

Thanks for all the info! So the model # is different from what I posted above? Dumb question, but what does SUS mean? I assume it means Subaru Uxxxx Sedan, but wasn't sure. I was seeing "SUS" referred to in car-part.com searches but wasn't sure what it meant there.

So, for an identicle match, I need model # TZ102Z2CBA or TZ102Z2DBA.

Do I have to worry about gear ratio issues, transfer case differences, etc... with these two model #'s? I've read some posts about people having to swap the rear diff or swap something off the transmission (transfer case or maybe front diff, I don't remember). I didn't quite find an answer how I was supposed to tell if gearing was going to be the same or not.

Thanks for all the info! So the model # is different from what I posted above?
only the -KF is missing, this isn't really part of the model number, maybe a date reference i don't know. but still not needed.

but what does SUS mean?
Sport Utility Sedan, basically it's an outback sedan rather than an outback wagon.

So, for an identicle match, I need model # TZ102Z2CBA or TZ102Z2DBA.
CORRECT, but double check the model number on your trans bell housing at the starter.

Do I have to worry about gear ratio issues, transfer case differences, etc... with these two model #'s?
no, if you stick with the 2 listed model numbers, you don't have to worry about gear ratios or anything else, as long as someone didn't change the trans and rear diff. again check the model number on your trans at the starter.

Ok thanks. You're saying the model # is in addition to the #TZ102Z2DBA-KF I already posted. I probably didn't look hard enough (because I didn't know where the numbers should be or what they should look like anyway). What does the model # usually look like?

I was trying to sort out answers to this question via calling the salvage yards, however, I think they made it more confusing. Each place I called had to look up the transmission depending on if I had a 2.2 or a 2.5, and whether it was a sedan, wagon, GT, or wagon GT. I'm not familiar with the sedans or GT's, but one place told me there was an Outback GT wagon? They didn't seem to know whether there was an actual difference between a transmission behind a 2.2 or a 2.5, which is further confused by my car originally coming with a 2.5 but being changed over to the 2.2 later on in life (before my ownership).

To keep things easy, I should try and stick with the two #'s you mentioned.

You're saying the model # is in addition to the #TZ102Z2DBA-KF I already posted.

the TZ102Z2DBA is the model number, you just need to confirm that it is the trans in your car. meaning someone didn't swap it as well as the engine. so if the model number on the trans is TZ102Z2DBA, as the id tag indicates, then the 2 model numbers posted above will work without any issues.

when talking to salvage yards, they are going to ask for year, make, model, and/or engine. (98, subaru outback, 2.5L) their software will return 97 - 98 trans with those 2 model numbers. giving them model number will not help them find a match and may only confuse the issue. but you can have them confirm the model number on the trans before you buy or have it shipped. if it isn't TZ102Z2DBA or ... 2CBA, then don't buy it.