Ultimate Subaru Message Board

89 hatch blower motor quit.

Well we've been blessed with warm weather this week after a nasty ice storm last week. And now that it's warmer, my heater blower motor quit !!

None of the fan settings work, fuse OK, the resister block has no breaks or burns, and the blower fan spins freely. I want to hook up 12v directly to the motor to check it, or just to get it going for now but before I burn something up.....

There are two wires to the motor, a green & white, and a red & white. Which is power and which is ground? Also, is there a blower fan relay on the EA81 cars?

Also, what's the trick to get the blower motor out? It looks like a chore.

There are two wires to the motor, a green & white, and a red & white. Which is power and which is ground? Also, is there a blower fan relay on the EA81 cars?

Also, what's the trick to get the blower motor out? It looks like a chore.

On the ea82 cars there is a fan relay. The relay is up under the dash in a group with 4-6 other relay's. It is round, I had to replace one recently on an '86. First time I've ever seen one go bad but those are the symptoms.

You can test motor by jumping 12v to terminal where the Green/white wire goes. Other terminal is ground. This is the info for an EA82. But it is consistant across all years 85-89 as far as wire color. Gound wire for motor is listed as blue for EA82. Is the Red and White wire present in the connector to the resistor and switch as well? If yes you are good. Easy to test continuity to gound as well.

I assume it would be the same in the ea81. But Hopefully this give's you a starting point.

Yes, try testing each of your wires for continuity with ground.. one of them should be a ground wire, so one of them should get continuity.. you can also see which wire is fed through the resistor block.

I am ASSUMING you have a multimeter... if not, stop, and go buy one. harbor freight carries cheapos for like, ten bucks.. home depot has the same cheapos for like, fifteen. sears should have decent ones for like, forty.

Hi Frank This is Jerry, there is a seperate fuse on the EA81 cars for the blower motor that is under the steering column. It is a fuse all by itself and it is a round white holder that uses a round glass fuse. Alot of people don't know about this fuse, i found it on my hatch by looking in the repair manual. Thanks Jerry

I am ASSUMING you have a multimeter... if not, stop, and go buy one. harbor freight carries cheapos for like, ten bucks.. home depot has the same cheapos for like, fifteen. sears should have decent ones for like, forty.

Yup, I have a nice one.

It shouldn't make any difference which way you connect the power up to the fan plug except the direction the motor will turn. If the motor works ok doing the test then I would suspect the relay as the problem first.

Good point.

Hi Frank This is Jerry, there is a seperate fuse on the EA81 cars for the blower motor that is under the steering column. It is a fuse all by itself and it is a round white holder that uses a round glass fuse. Alot of people don't know about this fuse, i found it on my hatch by looking in the repair manual. Thanks Jerry

Thanks Jerry! I'll dig for that this morning.

Thanks all.

I found another relay and a fuse above the fuse box, but it's not for the heater blower motor. I have no idea what's for either. But, I removed the blower motor itself and applied 12v and got no response. I then disassembled the motor to find an insane amount of dirt, dust, pieces of leaves and pine needles all ground up and covering everything INSIDE the motor! Cleaning it wouldn't help because I found the problem right away, the brushes were worn down to nothing and jammed up, and the wire was broken off one of them. I have no parts to rig it up, or time to go "shopping" at the local junkyards so I'll be ordering a new blower motor.

Unless someone has a good spare to sell and mail to me..........

just a thought, from someone who has never seen the inside of a hatch even...

but is there a possibility that you could retrofit a motor out of a different vehicle?? how difficult would it be to take your housing, or your motor, in to a JY and compare?? I ask, because we see SO many vehicles utterly torn apart in the junkyard anyhow, that accessing the JY units shouldnt be hard. There should be plenty in plain sight. Even if you cant use the whole blower unit from another vehicle, there is a chance you could retrofit the actual motor.. isn't there?

I dunno, just brainstorming. You never know when it might be helpful to throw a random wild idea out :banana:

A new one from Autozone is $50 or so, special order. Napa wants $67 I think, special order. I'll probably go through autozone only because there the only parts store that's open after I get off of work.

If I had the time to cruise the junkyard I'm sure I could find something and make it work. The problem is they would wany $40 or more for it around here so I'd be ahead by buying a new one. There's an electric motor repair shop close to where I work but there closed when I go past in the morning, and in the evening. All I need are new brushes.

Gee, I should've read your post a little more thoroughly, you said you had no time to go "shopping" as I suggested.

Never wouldve thought a blower motor would be available so cheaply from autozone!! thats nice! (now lets just hope they order you the right one :-p)

Well 86BRATMAN has come trough with one for me, should have it in a few days.

I did check with AutoZone, and the manufacturer is out of stock. You know what that means, they don't make it anymore. It was Siemens PM3716.

Napa, and Advance showed one as well, but a different manufacturer so they may still be able to get one.