Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subaru loyale wagon backfires won't start

Hello I am a newbie to subarus and am looking to by a soob. It cranks and backfires but won't start.I do not know the year but it is a 90's model with fuel injection. Does anyone have an idea as to why it won't start also does anyone know the correct firing order and distributor cap order? If I am looking at the motor from the front the hood up what side is number one cylinder?

Thanx Lee

transmission

3 4

1 2

bumper

firing order is 1, 3, 2, 4

The disty spins counter-clockwise. There should be a mark on the cap for cylinder 1, if not, it's the plug closest to the spring under the brake master cylinder for the hill-holder.

I guess it's possible if all that checks out that the distributor is 180* off, but I've never heard of it backfiring under that circumstance :shrug

-Dave

I recommend you goto the USRM and research it a little. It would be alot of typing to explain everything to be looking for or at. I did just help a Soob buddy of mine fix his backfiring problem. Which was what I explained earlier. Also if you get a chance goto a parts store and pickup a Haynes Repair manual for your car. It is quite easy to work on after understanding some of the simple Soob things.

basically, I'd find the USRM article about the timing belt repair, and verify that the timing belts were done right.

You should be able to take off the two outer timing belt covers on either side of the engine to view the belts & alignment dots. Knowing the history of the car would help as well. If has just been worked on, especially something that would take the timing belts off, they're probably wrong.

-Dave