Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Quicky about ea81 --> ea82t axle mating.

SuBrat84

I put the 5spd pt dr from the ea82t in the brat.. putting the 25 splines on the ea81 half shafts. What I want to know since I don't have any extra 4wd ea81 shafts to put the DOJs on.. can I use FWD ea81 shafts? Is the shaft length the same from FWD and 4WD ea81's? It's just the cup diameter that was different, right? Which wouldn't matter since I am putting the 25 DOJs on the ea81 shaft. I hope I am right.. I want to have these axles fab'd this week if I can!! :headbang:

I put the 5spd pt dr from the ea82t in the brat.. putting the 25 splines on the ea81 half shafts. What I want to know since I don't have any extra 4wd ea81 shafts to put the DOJs on.. can I use FWD ea81 shafts? Is the shaft length the same from FWD and 4WD ea81's? It's just the cup diameter that was different, right? Which wouldn't matter since I am putting the 25 DOJs on the ea81 shaft. I hope I am right.. I want to have these axles fab'd this week if I can!! :headbang:

Well if the 4wd shafts and ea 25 splines work together perfect then the 2wd shafts will not. For the 2wd shaft you need legacy 25 spline doj cups. But the shafts are the exact same length.

The process only takes about half an hour for each if you take your time. If your car is 4wd just figure that time into doing the swap and don't worry about having the axles done beforehand

Well if the 4wd shafts and ea 25 splines work together perfect then the 2wd shafts will not. For the 2wd shaft you need legacy 25 spline doj cups. But the shafts are the exact same length.

The process only takes about half an hour for each if you take your time. If your car is 4wd just figure that time into doing the swap and don't worry about having the axles done beforehand

I'm sorry, what are you talking about? Is there something different in the actual shaft part and the way it hooks up to the DOJ? The brat is 4wd, the rear ea81 axles fit on the ea82t lsd and into the ea82t rear disc hubs just fine. The ea82t axles fit in there but it throws it off too much and would cause rubbing / camber / alignment / issues! It has to be the ea81 length shaft with the ea82t DOJs. It's the only thing I have left to do besides the driveshaft, and I have that handled already.

FWD shafts are 2mm in diameter smaller than 4WD shafts. They are also slightly shorter, but not enough to make a difference.

Just make sure the axles you are using are the same diameter.

So, you're saying the FWD SHAFT PART is 2mm smaller in diameter AS WELL AS the DOJ part? But that it will work fine as long as on both sides the shafts are the same diameter? FWD ea81 shafts should but able to go in ea82t DOJs right? Otherwise I am going to be hitting the JY's to try and find some 4wd shafts.

Ok is that not clear....

4wd ea81 axles plus ea82t 25 spline doj works

2wd ea81 axles plus ej22 legacy 25 spline doj works

2wd ea81 axles plus ea82t 25 spline doj does not work

4wd ea81 axles plus ej22 legacy 25 spline doj does not work

DO A SEARCH. I know I asked this same stuff a month ago...

And who said anything about the rears. The rear spline size is the same on all r160 diff's found in subaru's till they changed to the slide in style in middle 90's.

No, it made sense to me.. it's just then 5 minutes later Mike came along and more or less contradicted you? Time to find 4wd shafts!:dead: Thanks.

I didn't really contradict him... I just said the FWD axles are smaller in diameter. Which they are. 19mm vs. 21mm or somewhere around that.

The FWD shafts are also shorter, but not by much at all. They don't make a difference. In fact, most parts stores list the same axle for FWD and 4WD.