Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 Legacy 2.5: Time needed to replace Timing Belt?

did you do it yourself the first time? first time always takes..or should take much longer, particularly on an interference engine like this. what else are you replacing? just the timing belt?

since your next belt change after this will be nearing the 300,000 mark, you'll likely also want to replace the water pump as well and most likely some of the pulleys. buy them all and replace the ones you don't need or be prepared for some downtime figuring out which ones you need. i think i always end of replacing the geared idler pulley, those seem to degrade the fastest.

what all your replace will make a difference on time. figure on 3 hours and up depending what else you get into. more if you're not comfortable around this kind of work.

he probably won't have rusted bolt issues. you're in the northeast, that's much more prevalent there/here. and also that's more prevalent with 80's or early 90's stuff. particularly EA/ER series older generation stuff. even being in the pseudo northeast where i am i've yet to have any problems getting the timing covers off any EJ vehicle.