Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heat shield for EA81 wagon?

Howdy, experts!

Just swapped out the half-shafts on my dad's '84 wagon -- one had a bad CV rattle, and the other one had a cracked boot.

When ordering new half-shafts, I noticed that most websites had a warning. They said "warranty void if the car's not tuned up properly, if the stock catalytic converter is missing, or if the factory heat shield is missing". They're obviously worried that the passenger-side inner joint will get cooked and brittle by the exhaust system.

So...the car still has its stock catalytic converter. The car is reasonably well tuned-up. But it doesn't seem to have any sort of a heat shield.

Did the EA81 have a heat shield between the catalytic converter and the axle shaft? Should it? From an inspection of the cracked boot, it appeared that the heat from the catalytic converter really could have made the boot brittle. To be fair, the outer boot was also looking pretty crusty/brittle, but it hadn't yet split. This was an axle I replaced ~6 years ago, and I' a little disappointed that the rubber has degraded. It wouldn't surprise me at all if my dad still has the car six years from now, and if the replacement of a missing heat shield would make the new boot last longer, I'd add it.

Or maybe there's a heat shield on the catalytic converter itself? It looks like there are a couple of bolts on the rearward end of the cat...is what I'm thinking of as the catalytic converter really a catalytic converter with a heat shield wrapped around it?

BTW, found new (not rebuilt) CV axles in Seattle for $75 each. Seemed like a good price. Parts Plus, 65th and Roosevelt.

Thanks!

that front cat should have a heat shield wrapped around it.

True, it should have one, but it ain't the greatest..

I have used aluminum roof flashing to make heat sheilds. It's cheap, easy to work with as far as bending it to shape. With some fore-thought in making a shield, you can leave some extra "tabs" bent to stand the shield off from the pipes and use radiator hose clamps to attach it to the pipes.

One should wear some heavy gloves when working with it though.......