Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can anyone tell me??

in reference to the 1.8 motors: I know they were carbed up until 86 I think. But would the intake manifold from a carbed motor fit on say a 1988 FI motor. I ride and build Trikes and I just don't want to mess with FI but I want to pick up a little newer motor and strip it down and put a carb on it.

Can I do that or is there some things that are very different in the motor on a FI model that would keep it from working very well. I love my Trike with the 85 1.8 motor but those are becoming pretty hard to find with less than 200,000 miles on them. I have found a 88 1.8 with just over 130,000 at a good price and thought if I could buy a carbed manifold for it and swap it out, I would have another sweetheart motor.

Thats my next question. Can I still purchase a new manifold for say a 1985 that was carbed?

All replys will be appreicated.

Thanks, Bob

They made carbed models til 87. The carb intake bolts right on to the SPFI block. However to hook up some of the EGR and Factory silencer stuff would require so tapping of a port on the head and plugging another one on the other head. If you wanted, you could ditch one or both of those systems and plug it all. Put any carb you want on it or just leave the hitachi. You could just bolt the intake and carb from you're 85 motor right onto it. BUT, if you want to buy an extra carb, complete intake, and even a Disty and coil from a good running 87 with 96,000miles I'll sell it to ya, good deal:clap:

subfinished2.jpg

They made carbed models til 87. The carb intake bolts right on to the SPFI block. However to hook up some of the EGR and Factory silencer stuff would require so tapping of a port on the head and plugging another one on the other head. If you wanted, you could ditch one or both of those systems and plug it all. Put any carb you want on it or just leave the hitachi. You could just bolt the intake and carb from you're 85 motor right onto it. BUT, if you want to buy an extra carb, complete intake, and even a Disty and coil from a good running 87 with 96,000miles I'll sell it to ya, good deal:clap:

Thanks for your reply. I'll keep you in mind if I decide to go this way. I'm just in the planning stages of my next build and I'm still not sure if I'm going to go with another water cooled motor or go back to the VW. It does help knowing that the parts I would need to make it work are available. If I did that, I'd plug off everything like I did on my 85 and run a Werber 32/36. So far my little 1.8 is doing a great job and runs very well.

Thanks, Bob