Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Removing the starter on a 95 Legacy

I previously posted about a problem I had starting my Legacy:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70832

(Synopsis: I probably need to replace the starter contacts).

I am vying for the "procrastinator of the year" award because I am just at the point of trying to do this repair myself now. When the weather got warmer the starting problems almost disappeared. Now it's been getting harder to start every day so I better deal with it :).

I have the new contacts ready to go. In the original thread, 91Loyale made it sound pretty easy to pull the starter. I have a "weekend mechanic" minimum set of tools -- basically a Craftsman 3/8" socket wrench and a metric socket set with the correct size sockets. From a preliminary look, it seems one of the nuts holding the starter is in a tight spot (it's underneath, I can't see it). I'm a bit nervous about starting this because with my schedule (mainly chauffeur for my 6-yr-old to school & other activities :)), I can't risk starting a repair where I might get into trouble.

I'm hoping someone here can tell me whether I need more in the way of tools, or whether there is anything extra to be aware of before I start this. As a kid, I pulled the engine on my '74 DL wagon (to do a clutch), so I'm not entirely green. It just seems like I always run into some unforeseen issue when I start these seemingly simple repairs! TIA for any advice.

Replacement isn't that tough of a job. There are two flange bolts, one of which is a bit tough to get to. I seem to recall they were different sizes. I think 14mm and 17mm. I had to pull pretty hard on the 17mm bolt with a long box wrench, so 3/8" drive might be a tough go. Besides the two flange bolts you need to disconnect the ground and power cable. It helps to pull out any misc. vac. hoses to make some room.

I didn't rebuild mine, just threw in a spare I picked up cheap from the wreckers, so I can't comment on that end of the job. Best bet is just google "starter rebuilds".

>>I had to pull pretty hard on the 17mm bolt with a long box wrench, so 3/8" drive might be a tough go<<

That's exactly the kind of thing I meant by "anything extra I need to be aware of", thanks! I think I have an extra-long socket handle (not racheting, though). I also remember there not being much room to maneuver.

I'm not rebuilding, just replacing two contacts in the solenoid. Once I have the starter off it should be pretty easy.

... might have been a 16mm bolt. My memory is pretty bad. All I remember for sure is they were two different sizes.

have fun!

According to 91Loyale, you were right initially -- it's a 14 & a 17mm nut.

Not exactly sure how a box wrench is going to fit, but if you say you used one it must be possible!

Hoping what I have will do the job:

774873handle.jpg

I think I snuck it in underneath so that the other end of the wrench was pointing down.

See there's my bad memory again, it's mounted on two studs with nuts, not bolts into tapped holes.

The one on top is a bolt (long) and at the bottom you have a nut on a stud.

You will also need an 8mm socket to take off the 3 solenoid cover bolts. The two nuts come off, the starter slides back, and you pull it out.

Make sure you undo the battery cables first. The starter cables have enough current carrying capacity to weld things like your wedding ring to a ground if you screw up.

You will also need an 8mm socket to take off the 3 solenoid cover bolts. The two nuts come off, the starter slides back, and you pull it out.
You take off the solenoid cover BEFORE you slide the starter off the studs & off the engine? This will probably be obvious once I start, but it doesn't hurt to be 100% sure.

Make sure you undo the battery cables first. The starter cables have enough current carrying capacity to weld things like your wedding ring to a ground if you screw up.
Absolutely. The battery cables come off first. Thanks again for your input.