Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Crankseal

yes and no. it's easy to do, but access is annoying, it's hard to get good solid and even pressure to get it in quickly. get a Subaru crank seal. i installed a Fel Pro seal earlier this year on an EA82 and it wasn't a good fit. didn't seem to want to go in quite right, eventually got it in. ended up leaking horribly in about a month and i replaced it again. the old seal was mangled and definitely not quite the right size...just off enough to cause the sealing edges of the seal to be compromised. the rubber was folded and torn. the new seal went in fine and doesn't leak.

have a short piece of PCV pipe the right diameter to help install it. take your time and be patient, sometimes it takes awile of tapping and massaging it in place. other than the cramped space it's not hard. definitely remove the radiator.

Think about doing the camshaft seals while you are in there too. They are actually easier to do than the crankshaft, although they require a bit more stuff to be removed (the timing belt sprockets...) Get the seal retainer O-rings at the same time.

IMO, this is a pretty easy job. PVC pipe or pipe fittings is a great tip.

I drilled a small hole in the front of the crankshaft seal and threaded a wood screw in there to pull it out. Just be careful not to damage the seat of the seal. Study the new seal to see what you will be drilling.