Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Possible Upgrades on Impreza

After searching around for a bit i could not find an answer to my upgrade question. Let me compare this to a Land Rover since that is what I have worked with. If you want to add seat heaters in a Rover you purchase the seat heater switch, pop the plastic piece off your dash and install. instantly you have seat heaters, obviously they were pre-wired. You can do this with pretty much any accessory you want, fog lights, cruise, etc, etc. My question is can you do this with the newer impreza, I looking at buying a used 05-07. The possible upgrades that I would like to do are seat heaters, Auto dimming mirror with home link, and fog lights. Thanks in advance for your input.

from what i have seen with the older stuff at least, if it was an option it would have the wiring already there. I had a 97 impreza with no cruise and all the plugs were there and all i had to do was find the parts for it. It seems they used one wiring harness per model I'm sure to cut back on cost.

I'm not sure about the newer stuff, but I'm sure subaru is still the same way, reusing as many parts as they can to cut back on costs.

I have the 2007 2.5i and I doubt there are preinstalled seat heaters since that is not an option on the base models. The WRX has the option for seat heaters so maybe it is a different story for that model. There are shops out there now that will put seat heaters in any car. I may go for that some day.

The options I have done are splash guards, extended arm rest, and a 1 1/4 hitch for my bike rack. I am currently negotiating with the dealer to put the Sirius module in. That is pricey but I got used to having satellite radio in the wife's Subaru. Pretty nice when you take those long interstate drives.

After searching around for a bit i could not find an answer to my upgrade question. Let me compare this to a Land Rover since that is what I have worked with. If you want to add seat heaters in a Rover you purchase the seat heater switch, pop the plastic piece off your dash and install. instantly you have seat heaters, obviously they were pre-wired. You can do this with pretty much any accessory you want, fog lights, cruise, etc, etc. My question is can you do this with the newer impreza, I looking at buying a used 05-07. The possible upgrades that I would like to do are seat heaters, Auto dimming mirror with home link, and fog lights. Thanks in advance for your input.

Fog lights ( yes ) just need the switch and the actual lighting fixtures installed. They come ready to match your paint.

No to heated seats. Not sure about the mirror wire but I would like to have that mirror too.

Not sure about the rear lighter plug if it was pre wired or not?

It is also prewired for additional tweeters in the front doors, also other upgrades like a subwoofer are ( I believe ) pre wired under one of the front seats.