Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Preemptively replace the clutch, 02 Legacy?

I had posted on an earlier thread that I had the torque bind on a new-to-me used Legacy, 5-speed. Turns out the mechanics agree, and the dealer is putting in a newish transmission.

While they've got the transmission out, I asked them to take a look at the clutch & rear main seal (~90k miles on this specimen). I've also noticed while poking around here that there is a little problem with clutch judder, which I had noticed intermittently on my car as well, but thought that it was just me having not driven a manual in a while.

Think I ought to ask them to put in the clutch kit from Subaru while the car's apart anyway? I'm guessing that I should ask for this kit, genuine subie part

Use Clutch Kit: 32098AA020

as referenced here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1836

Does this typically cure the problem for good?

with the transmission out, it is a good time to replace the clutch.

can't speak on the clutch issue, i'm not familiar with that one.

torque bind is fixable without removing the transmission, have they already removed it? someone just had there's fixed to the tune of $500 and i believe that was at a dealership. i'd much rather have that than a used trans that's had an unknown owner and sat on a shelf somewhere...and i doubt they'll pull, buy and install another transmission for $500 either.