Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help! ea81 problem.

Wicked_36

My 86 hatch, ea81 weberized is surging violently wile driving up any incline. Will drive up hill in reverse:slobber: . Dies uphill. also seems to die over 30 mph. Runs fine while in neutral. I just installed a manual choke(checked it to make sure it is open) and I just ran seafoam through it. Those are the only variables and both have me stumped. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew

have you changed both fuel filters?

The one under the car by the fuel pump often

gets overlooked, it is the first line of defence.

In reverse the tank is higher and the pump

doesn't have to work as hard.

Certified - WAG.

Yep, Fuel the filter. I'm an idiot. Thanks for the replies.

heh... dont beat your self up over it, could have done worse like me last winter - drive up mt hood knowing its bad and being too lazy to replace it, started out fine, was gettin up to 55 pretty good, then got higher, and higher, and slower and slower... at one point had to stop every minute or so to let the gas slowly trickle back into the carb fill up the bowl before starting up again. The way back down was worse as hard as it was to believe, soon as it got flat it wouldnt go. Ended up in sandy at 1am laying underneath the car on freezing concrete trying to bypass the filter... took nearly an hour because of how much mud and crap was under there and all the hose clamps being stubborn. I got home at 5am, hypothermic and sick off gas fumes.

Now, I was the idiot.

1- Don't leave town in something thats not top notch

2- Don't leave town in something thats not top notch w/out proper tools or parts

3- In my case, its best not to leave town :rolleyes: