Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Receiver Hitch needed for a 1986 GL

I need a receiver hitch ASAP to attach a 4 bike carrier for my July 6 vacation. I ordered one last week but it turned out to be a ball hitch. Links would be awesome. Thanks for any help. BTW, U-haul doesn't seem to carry a RECEIVER hitch for this model. Thanks for any help.

Alan

i work at u-hail i'll see if i can get a part number for you, there is a 1 1/4 receiver available for wagons. there is a model that goes between the bumper and body(requeires bumper removal)

call my u-haul tomorrow and ask for tony (608-221-4277) after 1 pm central time. im off work unless you want to call me wednesday.

ask for the part number, then have your local u-haul order it.(go there and make sure!)

the part itself should be 119.95 and you couls EASILY install it yourself

shipping is usually 3-5 days fedex ground, but if you pay for the part up front they should be able to overnite it to you(go to the store and ask to see the hitch pro)

if you need the wiring kit ask for 13488 the price is 16.95

U-HAUL

Hitches for a 1994 Subaru Loyale Wagon

Hitch# Type Class Max weight Max distribution weight Finish Price Details

Hitch #

Type

Class

Max weight

w/ weight dist.

Finish

Price

Details

247237 Sportframe 1 1/4 inch Rec 1 2000 N/A Black

For EA82 WAGON only

if the bike rack takes a 2 inch receiver then you will need a 1-1/4 to 2 inch adapter (adapter1 is the part number) 24.95 at u-haul

there is no 2 inch revceiver available for the subaru

You were right. I called and they had one. According to the website I saw earlier it appeared that they didn't have one. Thank you!!!!

U-HAUL

Hitches for a 1994 Subaru Loyale Wagon

Hitch# Type Class Max weight Max distribution weight Finish Price Details

Hitch #

Type

Class

Max weight

w/ weight dist.

Finish

Price

Details

247237 Sportframe 1 1/4 inch Rec 1 2000 N/A Black

For EA82 WAGON only

if the bike rack takes a 2 inch receiver then you will need a 1-1/4 to 2 inch adapter (adapter1 is the part number) 24.95 at u-haul

there is no 2 inch revceiver available for the subaru

You were right. I called and they had one. According to the website I saw earlier it appeared that they didn't have one. Thank you!!!!

I take it back. U-haul thought they had one but it appears that it has been discontinued. Any others??

if your 4 bike carrier is a 2" variety (all of the 4 bike racks are and mine is), don't get a 1 1/4" receiver. you'll end up needing an adapter and the adapters really suck because they only allow you to slide the bike rack to the first hole in shaft. this will make it stick out REALLY far....hitch, plus adapter and insert to first hole, leaving the rest hanging and bouncing. very dangerous and certainly not good for the bikes either, bottom out like crazy. i've done it and it was very unnerving and i damaged a bike... so i went and bought 2" receiver stock, you can buy it in lengths to make your own receiver. it was only like 9 bucks. some plate steel where needed and you're golden.

if you still want a 1 1/4" hitch, i'll sell you the one that worked on my XT6...and the adapter too!